“Good for the price”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for one night.

The hotel is located close to the airport with plenty of restaurants and a Wal-Mart nearby. For those not familiar with the area it isn't the safest ever but you should be okay. Just use common sense when you go out. This isn't anything on the hotel because all the Oakland airport hotels are all in this area.

The staff were very nice although check-in was extremely slow. My group happened to show up when a shuttle bus arrived. Other than that check-in was smooth.

Parking was free you just have to provide them with your plate number and you place a tag in your car on the dash.

Try to request a room in the main building. They have rooms outside of the main building that are kind of just sitting in the middle of the parking lot away from everything. I don't know how I would have felt being in one of those.

I was located on the third floor of the main building.the room was okay, nothing fancy, but not bad.

I didn't have a chance to check out their restaurant as it was closed because I left so early in the morning.

Overall I would consider the hotel average. Nothing special. Decent for the price. If you are a nervous traveler you may feel more comfortable at a more enclosed hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank flyawayCA

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've been a travel agent for 35 years, and I did not want to write a review because I hesitate to write negative reviews, but...it is important that I do because I SHOULD have learned my lesson and listed to the tripadvisor overall comments. I was taking the train from Chicago to Emeryville then wanted to fly home from Oakland so I didn't have to go over to SFO. All the hotels near OAK were more expensive than others of the same chain. I would have no car, so I wanted to be near the airport, with an early shuttle, and a restaurant. FYI...The shuttle starts at 4:00am , takes about 8 minutes, runs every twenty minutes, and was on time and the driver was wonderful. I noticed several Southwest Airlines employees at the hotel (taking the shuttle back to the airport at 4:20am with me)- but THEY were staying in the main building of course. I ended up being placed out beyond a back parking lot, past a tiny pool, into an old two story motel that the hotel had bought and refurbished. When I saw it, and realized there was also no elevator, I wheeled back to the front desk and asked if I was going to the right place...was this motel really my room? The front desk clerk (3pm on Wed 3/20) looked at me incredulously, wondering why I would even ask such a thing, and just said "yeah."

I was glad it was at least not raining, but then I realized I'd be out crossing this lot alone in the dark of 4am alone. And there was no elevator. Fortunately I had only one medium bag but I am FAR from young and it was quite a struggle. I think the front desk should have at LEAST offered someone to help if I needed it. I also asked if they had a restaurant (I thought I'd remembered they had one but I didn't see it). She didn't understand English very well and laughed at me. I asked again and she said "it opens at 4," but I had no idea where it was (I ended up seeing it on the trek to my room).

I was panting after hauling my case up a flight of stairs, and opened my "nonsmoking" room and could barely breathe for the smoke smell. I opened both doors and turned up the AC to try and blow some out, but it was the smell that lingers in curtains and carpets they had never removed.

The television was about 2 feet deep, and the picture quality (no HD?) was that of the 1970s. I decided to skip dinner because I now didn't really trust the quality. I tried to call the front desk for a wake up call and no one ever answered the phone. There was just NO service at all. They DEFINITELY cater to the airline crew (checking out a crew member after she'd started checking me out)...and I get that. But normal human courtesy should at least be extended to everyone.

The room itself was decent. Clean enough (except for the stench). Bed was comfy, lots of pillows, and a fridge/microwave if you need that in your room. It was the LACK of service and safety that were unacceptable. I even called the Holiday Inn I saw down the street because I was going to move, but they had no rooms.

I will never reserve this hotel for any of my customers in future. Although the actual ROOM I was in was average...I couldn't give the hotel an overall average rating because the rooms at MANY hotels are average and they ALSO have security, courteous personnel. I'll pick one of the many inexpensive Marriott properties or a Hilton Garden Inn or a Holiday Inn Express ANY time of a Red Lion now.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept a room that is not in the MAIN hotel. Like Vegas, they've got little two story mot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank wanderer1
Red Lion O, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear wanderer1
Thank you for your review.
Firstly I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you
experienced during your check in recently at the Red Lion Oakland hotel. Please be assured that your complaint and feedback will give me the opportunity to remedy any problem that may exist and help to improve our service further. I also note your complaint regarding our East and West buildings safety and assure you that it is very safe throughout our property. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies. Should you require any further assistance, you are welcome to contact me via email croyce.fom@redlionoakland.com or via phone 510-969-3111.
Carmela Royce
Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The stay was wonderful. It started with the Front Desk under the management of "Carmela". Her and her staff were warm, friendly, and prompt. My brother and I stayed for several days. The front desk always had a smile and positive vibes. We drove from Texas for business. We stayed in Beverly Hills before heading north to the Bay Area. This Hotel was a great addition to the final leg of our long trip. Two Thumbs Up..... I will stay here anytime I travel to the area....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Quick overnight stay before flight. Friendly, accommodating staff, clean room, comfortable bed and linens. Easy in and great access to airport. It is an old hotel, but they keep it up nicely. We will do a repeat!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
1  Thank Maynard W
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Overall a good value, street side is very loud in the morning, the annex buildings are old, rundown. Definately get a room in the main building. The Cafe is not bad. The italian place across the road sucks

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Just trying to check in. Several people behind the counter and one person taking care of guests. I waited in line for nearly 45 minutes. I must also comment on the staffs knowledge of operation. They all appeared to be new employees in training. By the conversations happening between the desk staff and customers it was clear that everyone was very disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. I do apologize that our front desk did not provide you with friendly and welcoming service. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run front desk. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered during your stay and we hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards

Reviewed January 25, 2014

The Red Lion is a nice place to stay. Very convenient for those traveling via Oakland International Airport. They have regular shuttle service to and from the airport. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. They have fridges and microwaves. They have a restaurant on the premises that's a little too pricey. There is not much within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Smokers should ask for a room with a balcony in order to avoid trips dowstairs to smoke.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business