“Good hotel for the price”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Booked this hotel on Priceline for a great price ($58/night) during the weekend. Free parking was nice, and did not seem as unsafe as some others have mentioned. Even saw a Tesla parked in the lot. Room was nice and clean upon arrival. Business center could have been bigger - there was only 1 computer, and I waited probably 20 minutes for one person to finish using it so that I could print a ticket. Although I guess the fact that they offer free printing at all is a plus. One strange thing that happened was my boyfriend accidentally went to a different level of the hotel than the one we were staying on, and swiped his card to open the room (same room number, different floor), and the card actually worked!! The people in that room had already left though, and it was in the process of being cleaned. So maybe that's why it could be opened with our key? But just to double check that the room key didn't work for EVERY room, we tried it on our neighbor's door, and it didn't work. Nothing was taken from our room, so I guess we had nothing to worry about.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I booked my room online and went to the hotel but they had no room for me. The front desk had sold my room thinking I was not coming. My flight got in at 9pm so I did not get to the hotel until almost 10pm. DO NOT stay here you may not get your room. I was stuck driving around looking for a room in the middle of the night after a long flight. They were not even sorry. It was as if it was my fault for checking in late.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Red Lion O, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

I am sorry that you were subjected to such a frustrating series of events. Your travel day here was one where our inventory had been closed due to the fact that our hotel was full. Making a reservation through a third party when no rooms were available put us all in a crisis. We appreciate your business and will do everything we can to serve your needs when you place a future reservation through Red Lion Oakland International Hotel.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed or tried to stay at this property this past Sunday. As a single Female, I felt un-comfy. I left and found another hotel down the street. In talking to the GM who was not understanding and in talking to the front desk upon arrival nobody had any leverage or could answer questions for me. When I left I didn't bother with Front Desk beings they couldn't help me in the beginning why would they be able to assist me now. In leaving due to the crazy people hangout outside the rooms in the parking lot, I contacted Expedia who in my eyes failed in every which way to offer customer service it took 3 day's to finally get somebody to help me. The GM of this hotel is rude and is all about that dollar not caring about me my feelings or the complainants I had about the outside noise and the guest that they allowed to stay. If your a single white female traveling stay away. When it came down to it the GM didn't offer any assistance in refunding me my money. I paid for a room in the ghetto I didn't stay in and after speaking to the GM and Expedia I received a whole $25 back. Stay else where, there is a nice Holiday Inn down the street.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Red Lion O, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

I certainly understand your frustration as a single female traveling alone on business and feeling uneasy. Red Lion Oakland International is located just minutes from OAK, BART, interstate 880, major attractions at the Oracle arena and the Oakland-Alameda county coliseum and a great gateway to the Eastbay.
We pride ourselves on responding to guests' concerns very quickly, so what you experienced is inexcusable. I have spoken with my GM and we extend our apologies for the inconvenience this problem caused you. We will make every effort to see that this never happens again.
Sincerely

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Recently stayed here as most of the hotels in the Bay were booked solid due to a convention in SF. Let's just say I learned my lesson that you definitely get what you pay for.

First off, there's no hospitality by the staff at this hotel, it's borderline, hostility. At check in, the wait was unbelievably long, the staff took their sweet time and weren't about to acknowledge or apologize for the wait. The room was prepaid so as other reviewers have mentioned, they do put you out in the back, literally.

My room was a in a separate building out in the back, thankfully it's not that far and there's parking around the outer building. BTW, navigating through their parking lot can be a little tight, especially entering/exiting the hotel driveway.

Upon entering the room, there was an overwhelming rush of air freshener, apparently trying to mask the odor of cigarette smoke. I called the front desk about it and the agent insisted it was a non-smoking room as they are non-smoking hotel. So much for customer satisfaction, again...hostility, not hospitality. The room was a little small and cramped but, was decent. The bed was comfortable, and the linens were clean and in great shape. There was a mini fridge, coffee maker on the desk, and a huge tube TV. There was also a little balcony but it faces the parking lot. The bathroom was also decent, the bath amenities however smelled like old lady perfume. Overall, the room was clean, but it really reaked of air freshener with traces of cigarette smoke. Keeping the AC on all night helped circulate the air...and mask the noise from the outside and from adjoining rooms, as the walls are so thin.

The next morning, at around 7am, I called the front desk to say that I was checking out and the phone just rang, rang, rang, rang, and rang. I just gave up and left.

Overall, you really do get what you pay for. The hotel was okay, the service was horrible, and for $99, it certainly met those mediocre expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

I extend my own apologies for the inconvenience this problem has caused you. It is apparent that we need to train our front desk more thoroughly.
I wish you an enjoyable holiday season.
Sincerely

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel is in a very nice area. The management was great. One manager in particular, Carmela Royce was so helpful at the front desk ! She was more then willing to accommodate us and was very attentive to our needs. We will definatly be coming back!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Red Lion taking advantage of the Park & Fly Program. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. Parking was easy. You park in your choice of parking spaces and note the parking space number. The Shuttle Service was prompt, even though we had an early flight and a late return. We only waited about 10 minutes to be picked up from the airport. Overall we were very pleased with our stay, and will definately return on our next trip.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel is cheaper than the one in san francisco. I traveled by my car so it was good choice to stay oakland which is not so far from lots of attraction in san francisco. The front was kind enough and room was clean.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple