“Avoid at all cost”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Unless you have a very good reason to go to Oakland, I strongly recommend that you DON'T! And if you do have to go there, I strongly recommend that you avoid the Red Lion Hotel.

Much has been written about the Red Lion and most of it negative.

But on a positive side, the rooms are as good as you can expect from a poor quality chain. They are exactly what you would expect to get for the momey. Clean, functional and serviced. But you MUST insist on the newly decorated Tower Rooms!

And that's where it stops.

The restaurant is abysmal and the standard of the product produced (it's not food) is dreadful. Don't use it!

The Front Desk appears to be understaffed and totally unhelpful, staffed by low quality personnel who are stretched, at the best of times.

And worst of all is the location. Situated in a hostile no-mans-land, with nothing what so ever around it,you have to venture out for ANYTHING!
Having done this the only way to get back to the hotel from San Francisco if you use the BART rail system is to get the Hotel Shuttle from BART Coliseum Station.
Twice I called to get a pick-up and twice I was left stranded down there by receptionists who had forgotten to pass my message on. And at 22:00 on a dark night this is no laughing matter. It's not a safe place to be!

My advice would be..... Don't go to Oakland, and if you really have to, don't rely on The Red Lion.

Room Tip: Could be so much better if the management cared!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tullidge
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay. I apologize for the issues you had, as that is not what we expect our guest experience to be. I would also like to apologize for our staff not relaying on the message that you needed to be picked up not once but twice. This type of service is definitely not acceptable and I would like to assure you that this will be addressed accordingly with our staff.
I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future and we look forward to providing you excellent service as a valued guest.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had a great experience at the Red Lion. Booked through Priceline. Our room was nice and updated, everything worked and the room including the bathroom was very clean. I see some other reviews that are not very good, but our total experience was great. We stayed here because we were flying out early the next morning and honestly this hotel was less than a five minute drive to the airport. I would recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We often travel to the San Francisco Bay Area, and often stay at the Red Lion on Haggenburger
near the Oakland Airport. It is close to bart with a free on demand shuttle to and from the ballpark. The Hotel is clean and has nice rooms. Our recent trip we had a balcony over the pool with great views. We also stay at the Hilton, but the Red Lion is more cost affective. The staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurant chef was great, and had been there since it was the Park Place.

Room Tip: South Side of tower
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The actual hotel was much better than as reviewed on web before... maybe already improved sometime? Anyhow the room was tidy, service was friendly, and more importantly, their free airport shuttle was always on time and obligated to everybody, 24*7. Less than 5 minutes to the terminals, good choice with its price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hao H
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am a flight attendant and I stay in different hotels every week around the country! I have been staying at this hotel for about the last year. The hotel gives us a good rate, but I will not be using it any longer, I will go back to staying at the Holiday Inn across the street. The Red Lion is really run down and they just don't seem to be able to keep good staff. Things seemed like they had really started improving there in about August of last year, but after the new year things really went downhill. The previous manager was really great, I don't remember his name, but he was always around and he was very friendly and helpful.

They used to have a great front desk staff including Will, but he left recently and it seems that after he left the front desk started to decline quickly! The Hotel also had a really great night Bartender, Charlie, he was really friendly and was the only reason that many of us at Southwest were still staying at the hotel. He always took really good care of us and was the friendliest person in the Hotel. I was at the Hotel last night and Charlie wasn't working, I asked one of the people in the restaurant and I was told that he is no longer working there. Now that he is gone, there is really no reason to stay there any more, Will and Charlie were great assets to the hotel and they will be missed by me and my crew!

This Hotel is in need of an update badly and also probably a change in management, so that they can try to retain some of their good employees! I also find it incredible that they no longer offer a salad with a dinner entree and they now charge an extra $3.00 if you want one!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Coporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to rate our hotel based on the experience during your stay. Your feedback is appreciated and we will make note of this situation to discuss with our team. You are a valued guest and we hope to better serve you during your next stay.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Bay Area is really expensive. I found this place for $73.00 on Hotwire for a 3 star. Was hoping I would get another hotel, but got this one. Wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get much. Its a cheap hotel near an airport that I would not even say is worth 1 night.

Front desk staff completely incompetent. Check-in took 20 minutes, and a call to my credit card company because they told me card was declined, but was actually approved for the incidentals. Called the front desk for information and always took 20 rings or more to answer. There was a loud fog horn noise, and I called and they told me it was BART and that it stops at 8pm. Then called again at 815pm and they said it stops at midnight. It actually goes 24 hours, which I found on the website.

Hotel has been renovated as bathroom has granite. Bed sucked, AC worked, but room was not to the clean standards I am used to. Then again you get what you pay for. Shuttle to airport was good.

Definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experience upon check in and with our front desk staff. We strive to provide all our guests with the high quality of service that we maintain throughout all of our hotels.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.
Kind Regards

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The reviews below are all over the place. However, some are very legit and if you want / going to stay at this property, here is the low down.
High rise vs. Annex backside low-rise buildings: The high rise building is the main building to the hotel. The lobby and public spaces are average and OK. They could use some updates and maybe a little more of a decorators touch. The rooms in the high rise building are nice. They are updated and contemporary and overall clean. The baths are all granite (even tub/shower) and the rooms are spacious as well. In fact, you feel like the rest of the building doesn't match the rooms). The only thing that I found was a few of the ceiling panels in the entry way to the room could be replaced and the thermostat was dirty and from 1990's (but worked).
DO NOT stay in the back low rise annex building! You will be upset. Looks like a cheap motel and I don't think (by reviews) updated. It also has no security back there. Spooky.
Guest Services: The front desk is small and the employees seem a little off. They need to assign a dress code. The girl that checked us in had small two holes in her shirt (tears) and then the next morning she had a blouse on held together with a safety pin. Kind of shabby looking. I understand that some people may have limited funds for clothing attire, but maybe the hotel can issue a blouse/shirt and jacket for their employees. Other employees in the hotel also looked shabby too. They all seemed as if they were in a daze. It was kind of weird.
Shuttle to Airport: The shuttle was great, on time and driver was friendly.
I did not use the restaurant or bar. There is an Italian restaurant across street and a Starbucks and others a few blocks down.