“No problems!”

Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Houston
“No problems!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a commuter ( I live in Houston but work out of Oakland.) I used the shuttle with no issues. Everyone has been polite even at 12a. I checked in and out with the same front desk crew. The room was clean, fresh towels and the ac worked fine. The breakfast/server were good. Even the shuttle drivers were nice. Super close to the airport. I love it! One non major issue is i got a room near the busy street. You can hear motorcycles and large trucks faintly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fmulder21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Overall, decent hotel to catch a plane from, but communication was poor on getting the shuttle from BART to the hotel on a cold, rainy night. Was told shuttle would arrive 10-15 minutes. Got there in 10, waited 15 more, no shuttle. Called and they said the shuttle had been by but we weren't there and that it would be another 20 minutes. They could have communicated better and taken some responsibility. Felt blamed. Lastly, we ended up with what we reserved in spite of that they lost our reservation. Rooms were clean and quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jerry d
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hotel is very convenient to Oakland International Airport and near the freeways. The room was comfortable and pretty quiet knowing the airport was very close. Front Desk staff was professional and friendly.

Room Tip: The hotel is set up with multiple buildings, ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul B
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2013

When you can't get someone to answer the phone when you're calling from the airport for a shuttle pick up, you know it's not going to be great. Not a very customer friendly hotel. The staff barely recognizes that you're there. Having said that, after having to call 4 times for a menu, the Asian salad was really great and the avocados were super fresh. The bed is very comfortable, my wifi works fine. I'm not experiencing the noise on the 3rd floor that others mentioned.

So, for a quick business in and out near the airport, it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank coconutcream
Kalama, Washington
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Rooms were good for the price. However, we were there on business and although the wi-fi was free it did not work, nor did the wired connection in the room. Made it a little hard to do business. We were there 3 nights and had to get our room card reset each day, what a hassle after a long day of work. The vacant room next to one of my team member's alarm went off at 4:15 in the morning and kept goin. Notified the desk, said they'd resolve and next morning it went off again. Finally, they have the WORST bartender ever. Don't order anything more complicated than beer, wine or something straight with ice. Also, their bar bill is based on some ponzi scheme set up that is nearly unreadable and by the end you don't save anything during happy hour. Neither I nor anyone on my team will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SGS101
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run bar. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered during your stay and we hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Twain Harte, California
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I chose this hotel for proximity to airport and rate. An older property, but the rooms are fairly updated and clean. I had a quiet room at the end of the hall on the 4th floor. I don't think there was anyone staying around me. Close to lots of restaurants and fast food places. Less than a mile from the airport which made catching an early flight a piece of cake. Free parking but not a lot of it. Staff was friendly enough although I didn't see much of them. There is a resaurant off the lobby that I didn't use. Also a work out room and meeting/business facilities that I didn't use.

Room Tip: I think higher floors are quieter - away from elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2013

From the moment I arrived and saw airline pilots checking in I knew I would at least have a clean room. My king sized room for 10 nights was the right size, and had a very cozy bed. I will say being in the front of the building was not ideal as the main road and the Harley store generated a great deal of noise.

The WiFi was adequate for web browsing, but was way too slow for VPN, you tube, Netflix, ABC, or facetime. You will have to use your 4g hotspot for any of those.

I enjoyed the restaurant and quickly became addicted to the Blackened Ahi sandwich. There are not too many choices on the menu but there were enough to satisfy me. I am in no way a food snob.

The service was touch and go. Housekeeping did a great job. The manager was super nice and I can not say anything but positive things about the shuttle bus drivers. They were polite, informative, and picked me up at the BART whenever I called and were quick to do so.

Really my only two complaints with service were a front desk clerk named Donna who misplaced a package delivered to me that was time sensitive, never answered me direct about my questions, and in general didn't seem to know what she was doing any time I interacted with her. The other clerks were more than helpful and went above and beyond to find my package for me and to answer my questions. In the end it the situation with my package was comical because Donna had thought it was a box of key cards and put it in their stock. It was an annoyance but the other staff helped fix her oversight.

Issue 2 was that my toilet was broken the whole trip and ran constantly. They offered to change rooms but after a while it became like white noise and I didn't mind. The manager was very apologetic and offered me free breakfast in exchange for the trouble. It wasn't a huge bother other than I knew water was being wasted. Some nights I would shut off the water as a courtesy to them and the environment.

Aside from Donna and the toilet issue, I was very satisfied with my stay and would gladly stay at the red lion again. I would probably request a quiet room over bed choice, but if I'm in the area this would be my first choice.

I've stayed at the Hilton across the street and it was musty and dank. If cleanliness is paramount on a budget, you can't beat the Red Lion Hotel...

Just hope Donna isn't the one manning the desk.

• Stayed February 2013