“Nice deal, nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Nice deal, nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked off discount site, for a place to sleep before a very early flight. traveling with 2 little ones I was unsure the hotel would be nice to us, looked like a place older couples would stay at. But they put us in the west wing of the hotel away from others, and the boys played without complaint. Bed was super comfy and the shower was hot. we ate at the Bistro, it was expensive but good, but the single waitress was SLOW, she needed help with just 5 tables of 2. shuttle was prompt and strict on the time table. very nice stay and quiet for being next to airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Mendota, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Arriving at the hotel the front desk clerk said the computers were down. We waited over a hour to get checked into our room. The shuttle took a hour and a half to pick us up at the Bart. Fish and F.F. were fish sticks. When we checked out they had charges on our bill that we didn't make. Cold showers. We told the person working at the front desk about our concerns and I even called after a few days and still haven't heard anything from the general manager. I was told Brian would be contacting me.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent one night at the Red Lion prior to an early flight. The hotel is close to the airport and does provide shuttle service to/from the airport beginning at 4:00 AM. We did eat lunch at the lounge and the food was very good. Our room was clean and the beds comfortable with nice linens. The staff was friendly and helpful. Once in the hotel, we didn't venture out. We felt secure in the hotel but Oakland is not the kind of city I would want to walk around in .

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor. There are 2 elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Beware - do not leave your car here. Car's are broken into every night - I almost think it is employees that know that you are parking your car and leaving town. I had a confirmed reservation in writing from my travel agent ( Unfortunately I asked her to book this - and she warned me ) and when I checked in - they could not find my confirmation - but found me a room at a higher rate. After my trip - I was double billed - and told that I didn't show up for my travel agent's reservation that they could not find - and I didn't cancel it - so they charged me for that. I am fighting with my credit card company now - trying to deny the charge. To top it all off - the rooms were dirty, the staff rude. If you stay here after reading any of these reviews - you are crazy. Not worth it to save a buck. It will cost you more in the long run.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank rivrsiren
Los ángeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

first of all , there is no security at all . Insufficient lightning, no Security Guard, no Cameras...
its a very dangerous neighborhood , so its irresponsible and grossly negligent form the management to taking more care of their Customers. We parked our car in front of the Hotel to check in , and when we came back after a few minutes the car was broken in ( window was smashed ) and all our stuff was taken .Creditcards, computer, purse....etc.
Police showed up after hours...it was a horrible experience, and it seems that this happens all the time there. So stay away from this place and go somewhere else....we learnt it the hard way..
Happens in September !!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Michael S
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

we had a very late arrival to this location. I received my room key without a problem, however my 3 traveling companions had a horrible time with Marlow, the night desk person, obtaining their rooms. All the other staff members were very polite and helpful. This hotel has a very nice Bristol within their building. with very good food and reasonable cost. Room and all facilities were very clean. This location is on hotel row and next year will have access to the BART extensions planned to Oakland airport.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Rachael S
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This could of been a bad day at the hotel the one night I stayed. There was a football game between the Raiders and Steelers and every hotel in the area was booked. I booked at the Red Lion (not my first choice) but because I thought it was higher quality over other hotels in the area, like a Motel 6.
I came into the lobby and there was an argument between a guest and the staff. What was it about, I dont know, but instead of trying to calm the situation, I was quite disturbed when one of the staff members had to get in the last word, so the guest had to get his word in and for the next 10min it was a batter of trying to get the last word. Again, I dont know what it was about, but I walked into that loud argument and that is Strike 1 against this hotel.
There is not much of a choice to eat in and around the area, there is an italian restaurant, but on Sundays it was closed, with no car and being in Oakland, I decided it was safer to stay in and eat at the restaurant.
The food it okay at best, not bad, but not gourmet either. They offer a variety of dishes from steak dinners, pastas and bar foods like burgers and wings. I had the burger (playing it safe) but here is how the restaurant went.
The service was lousy, slow, and non exsistent at best. I picked the cleanest of tables because more than half the tables were still dirty. I chose a table at the corner and the table next to me was not bussed, I counted 4 tables that were not bussed in the 90min I was at the restaurant. I did not want to be there for 90min, but the service was slow. There was 1 waiter, 1 bartender for a full bar and restaurant on a Sunday home game. You figured the manager would of staffed for this, but he/she didnt it was slow. I waited 15min just to get a drink order and another 10min to get the drink, then another 10min to wait to order the food. The food wait was 25min, and for the 90 min I was there, my drink was refilled only once, and I had to 'borrow' a napkin from a clean table and I had no silverware and no one asked me if my meal was okay or if I needed anything else. And when I left, the same 4 tables were not bussed or cleaned. In fact a party of 5 came in and had to move the dirty glasses out of the way, and instead of the waiter taking them away, he moved them aside to the furthest part of the table. Strike 2.
The hotel room looked nice, nice comfy bed okay showers, decent TV with a smaller than average channel line up, but a few things that irked me. 1. the cleanliness. I dont think the sheets were changed. 2. On the hook behind the bathroom door, there were 2 towels form the night before still on the hanger. And 3. no one picks up the trash in the hallways. I cant tell if it was the sheets or what, but at 3am, I woke up to this horrible smell. I couldnt go back to sleep and I had to wake up at 4 anyways, so took a shower, and when I leaving I noticed someone had put all of their food right infront of my door. 2 full containers of half eaten food with this overwhelming stench of onions (probably what woke me up) Strike 3.
Again, I could of stayed there on a bad night. But my first impression was horrible. I was on a very short business trip, I wanted to get a good nights sleep, good food, and be ready for my 6am flight the next day. I got okay food, horrible service, dirty towels, arguments between guest and staff, and didnt sleep because of a horrible smell in my room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business