“Beware of rude staff member”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Although overall the hotel is comfortable, convenient, and clean; I can only give the Red Lion one star due to the worst experience we have ever encountered in our 30+ years of traveling for personal or business trips. "Marlowe" (she refused to give us her last name) working registration at the front desk ignored us, would not make eye contact, then openly argued and interrupted me in front of other guests as I tried to explain to a different employee - that all three rooms we had booked more than 45 days prior to our arrival date could not be in the "back" building due to physical limitations. Be aware that the older building located behind the pool does NOT HAVE AN ELEVATOR- a clear violation of the American with Disabilities Act. I am preparing a letter that will be sent to the Corporate office of Red Lion Hotels.

Room Tip: If you cannot walk up one - three flights of stairs due to a physical limitation, before you are han...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chiquita10

Reviewed September 21, 2012

checked in at 10 pm at night , parked the car in front of the main entrance, and we were entering the hotel lobby to check in. got the luggage out of the car and locked the car, went back after five minutes, and the rental car was broken in, passenger window smashed, briefcase and purse stolen, Damage more than 3000 USD , all credit cards , drivers license, passport all was gone...
Horrible neighborhood, very dangerous....would never ever stay there again...Hotel staff were very helpful tho, but the management should have installed a camera in front and make the place more safe for customers, because we heard after our incident that this was not the first time in this area.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank nofixedadress
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Don't leave your car parked here for Park/Fly. When we returned from our wonderful vacation leaving our car in their main parking area after 14 days we found are car broken into. The general manager of this facility did not attempt to compensate or remediate this situation for us, i.e. I will now have to cover the expenses to repair my car for $310+. This hotel is a very marginal high crime area, typical for many areas of Oakland. Drive directly to airport earlier and park in the bonifide secured nearby pay lots instead, This hotel has a good staff but is very limited in terms of available dining and a reasonable safe surrounding neighborhood.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ArchTrekker
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed the night before an early morning flight. We left our car there for a week. Staff was good, check in good and the shuttle ran as advertised. The bar was also nice the night we got there for a cocktail before going to bed.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation the day you will arrive and pre-pay if you have a late check in. They have...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Some of the staff really go out of their way, whether it be the pool man or Rom at the front desk. Because it is an airport hotel, if you are a frequent traveler their corporate rate is awesome and if you book even one night you can park your car FREE 10 days!!! Beat that! You can't, which is why this is our hotel of choice in the area. They are pet friendly too. However the best part is if you are a jogger or hiker or biker or rollerblader, lovely trails through the San Leandro Bay begin almost exactly across the street and they extend for a few miles. One of my dogs is still recovering from our fun day out in the sun. Unless you look for it, you wouldn't really know all that amazing protected wetlands is just across the street.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I got kicked out of the hotel for sleeping and got charge triple the amount for being forced to leave. There were other parties going on the floor that I was on. The manager said we got kick out for noise complaints, we were asleep by 12 and kick out at 2 for sleeping. It was not right the hotel manage also said we would only be charged $119 for that night then they ended up charging us $ 365 for being kicked out. The next day I went to talk to the manager and no one would talk to me. I left my number at the front desk and none ever called me back. I have also tried to call them to disput my charges but they just hang up on me.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Marcgallagher
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Red Lion for just one night and the hotel worked out well for my purposes. It was all about location—I needed to be at the Oakland airport early the next morning to meet arriving friends. I used a discount hotel website and got the room for 89.00 incl. taxes. The room was fairly large, bathroom functional and clean, the king mattress and linens comfortable. The light over the bathroom sink barely offered enough light for me to shave, so I can’t imagine what a woman would do about make-up. The hallways and elevators really show the age of the building. For some reason they have a really stinky (!) air freshener glued to the wall of one of the elevators. It was so potent it kind of clung to my clothes so I could smell it a few minutes later.

In general, maintenance is lacking-- The room door was all scarred up from where people had let the door slam on the security bar, the alarm/time switch on the clock did not work, the TV remote was missing the battery cover… After checking out, I sat in a big upholstered chair in the lobby and it tilted wildly forward – it was missing a leg. When I pointed that out to the receptionist who was 10’ away, he sort of laughed. Judging by his lack of concern, I doubt he reported it to anyone.

I found the hotel very tolerable, although not especially nice. You wouldn’t want to plan more than an overnight. Having said that, the courtesy van drivers went out of their way to be helpful. They made it hassle-free to get to/from the airport and the Coliseum BART station. The front desk gave me a number to call for pick-up and the driver was even cheerful when I called around 01:00A when returning from downtown San Francisco. Although I did tip the drivers, I didn’t feel pressured to do so.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor with views of the rooftop and A/C systems. There really aren't any great vi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo