“Great Manager Turned Bad Stay into Good One”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The hotel property itself is dated, but well maintained, with clean, updated rooms and a nice lobby. The property itself is surrounded by abandoned businesses and barbed wire fences, which makes it feel less nice than it really is. Our room was located in one of the two story annex buildings off the back of the main hotel tower. The stairs leading to the second floor were carpeted and dirty, but other than that, the building was clean and the room was nice. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the bathroom was decent size. We ran into problems with our room keys not working (three different times throughout the week) and with housekeeping not cleaning our room for three days in a row. When I called the front desk to ask for fresh towels after this happened, the phone continued to ring and ring with no one answering. Finally, I walked to the front desk to get fresh towels myself. The gentleman at the desk gave us towels, but offered no apology. When I spoke to the general manager upon checkout, he apologized immensely, compensated us appropriately and gave us his card to contact him if we decide to stay with them again in the future. He definitely turned a relatively bad experience into a good one in the end.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 18, 2012

While the Red Lion is close to the airport in Oakland (five minutes by free shuttle) it is really more of a motel than a hotel. I had to walk out across a cold parking lot from the reception lobby to get to my room in the “west wing” of the facility. Several people who were apparently hotel staff members were in the parking lot smoking. The room featured literally the loudest HVAC I have ever experienced. It was cold and I wanted the heat to be on, but I eventually turned it off because it kept waking me up. It did drown out the noise from the neighboring rooms; television sets, music, conversations, toilets flushing. The walls are very thin. And my “non-smoking” room smelled distinctly like cigarette smoke. And the free Internet didn’t work either. And the mattress was so hard I awoke with very sore hips and back.

It’s a tired old facility. The staff was very nice and things seemed to be clean. But that hardly made up for the other issues. And $100 a night for a single traveler? Highly disappointing.

If you’re unlucky enough to have to do an overnight at the Oakland Airport, there are a number of other options. If I find myself in that position again, I will explore them and skip the Red Lion.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Nothing special but got the job done. Under $100 a night over the weekend and has a king size bed, small table/ chairs, desk, and bathroom. Looking for hotels near oracle arena because we were going to watch the Mavericks play the Warriors and also needed a shuttle. $5 per person each way and it drops you off at the BART station where you walk across the bridge and around the building to the entrance for basketball game. Better than driving ourselves!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Upon arrival in my room I smelled marijuana. I complained and they said they would find the source. I returned to my room after my grandmother funeral, with my three daughters and my room was hazy from marijuana smoke. We opened the door to air it out and I complained again. The area was very bad and I had to close the door so we could go to to sleep. We could not sleep! a loud generator was vibrating the room and making it impossible to sleep and soon the room was filled with smoke again! The front desk sent security but nothing happened. After midnight we packed up and asked the front desk to move us. They moved us to another room but the Harley's from a motorcycle gang were so loud we were awake for 3 more hours. We were all sick and dizzy and the hotel offered me 2 free breakfasts! that is all and all 4 of us were sick and dizzy. DO NOT STAY HERE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, LOUD AND TERRIBLE CLIENTELE.

Room Tip: rooms in main building are quieter but still nasty
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We had a quick layover in Oakland on our way to Hawaii...arrived at 10:30 p.m., had a flight out at 7:15, so would only be there for 6 hours. We wanted someplace where we could get a good six hours of sleep. We chose the Red Lion because we'd stayed at others before and were satisfied with both the price and accommodations. The highlight of the stay was definitely the free airport shuttle. He was there upon arrival, and ready to take us back at 5:20 the next morning. However, the walls of the room in our building were paper thin, and we could hear every whisper in the adjacent rooms and hallways. The shower was barely warm. The front desk person had told us to come down 10 minutes before we needed the shuttle. Found out that wasn't true. It runs on a schedule every 20 minutes. Not the driver's fault, but would have been important to know in case we were running late. Morning front desk person spent the entire time we were waiting in the lobby on personal calls. If you need a good night's sleep, make sure you ask to stay in the main hotel. I'm not sure if it would be any better, but sure couldn't be worse. And if you have to stay, book through Kayak or others. Directly through the hotel was significantly more--definitely not worth the $100 we paid.

Room Tip: Book in main hotel, not adjacent buildings
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Booked online for a very cheap price because I paid in advance and got a non-refundable rate. Called the hotel from the rental car center and they had a shuttle there within 10 minutes to get me.

Check in was fast and room was cozy. Very noisy outside of my room about 4 am, sounded like a garbage truck making its rounds or something.

Checked out early in the morning for my flight out of Oakland Airport. The shuttle took me over to the airport and it was free to use both times I used it. The only thing I paid for was the tip for the driver.

All in all I was at the hotel for less than 12 hours as it was just a place to sleep from the time the rental car was dropped off until my flight the next day. No issues and I would stay again if I ever needed to stay at the airport again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I was stranded at OAK, promptly called the front desk and quoted me a price for $70 for the night. The gentleman directed me toward the shuttle service and I found myself in the lobby of the hotel in 10 minutes. After a few minutes of waiting for those ahead of me I was asked the the clerk Alvin if I was the one who called earlier. He proceeded to process me through the regular hotel protocol in timely and professional manner. I had a few questions which he proceeded to answer throughly.

Hotel room wreaked of convenience, I was placed on the sixth floor and had a great view of the outlying area of Oakland. The amenities were great, bathroom was clean, and so was the bed. Asked for a wake up call which I received at 7:00 AM sharp. Checkout was a synch and the shuttle was more than adequate (once again).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room toward the back of Hegenberger Road (main road), as the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo