“very pleasant place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Georgia
“very pleasant place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed for four nights in at the Inn at Jack London Square. We really liked the hotel very much. The beds were especially comfortable, and the room and bathroom were extra clean. Potential guests needn't worry about noisy trains nearby...their sounds are hardly noticeable although the inn is conveniently located for train travelers like us. It is easy, too, to use either the ferry or BART to go into San Francisco. The nearby Buttercup Grill is not fine dining, but its food is tasty, well prepared, and more than adequate.
This is a good place to stay to avoid paying outlandish rates for hotels in SF.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor was not at all noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is great - it's close to Jack London Square and lots of good and fun restaurants. The staff were all really pleasant and helpful, and the price was fair.

The beds are remarkably comfortable — we had a room facing the courtyard for four nights and found it to be reasonably quiet — I actually slept really well. For me, The noise issue was due to the relatively thin doors and windows, which allowed in the sound of conversations from the folks who would occasionally hang out in the courtyard, which seems a pleasant place to hang out, so I don't fault them for doing so. I'll confess to liking the sound of trains, so that didn't bother me. The primary issue lies with the choice of building materials with somewhat poor sound-insulating qualities, but such are the trade-offs for choosing a price-conscious hotel.

I'll stay there again the next time I'm in Oakland.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are pretty quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter on a trip to the San Francisco area. We opted for Oakland because the prices were cheaper. It was an easy free shuttle plus BART ride to get into downtown San Francisco.

Hotel staff were super friendly and helpful. The Buttercup Grill, next door, is a pretty decent restaurant for what it is, too.There's a free shuttle right outside that takes you all the way up Broadway, which makes this place convenient to the BART.

The hotel is very nice. The rooms are great with minor exceptions, which are that there's no mini fridge or safe in the room. For me, this is a big deal as I am on a special diet and have to bring along some food for myself. Fortunately I had a large cooler, and the ice machine worked well, so we managed. I also missed having a safe in the room for my laptop and valuables. Aside from those two things, I'd say this is a great place to stay, and I'll certainly use this hotel again on a future stay in SF.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's not the Ritz BUT we loved this place which was minutes from O.co to see the A's. Great staff, especially Barbara the front desk clerk. Parking garage right under hotel. The place was newly remodeled and very clean. Yes you can hear the trains, but not so much that we couldnt sleep. Great short walk to Jack London Square and great local restaraunts. Nice little cafe next door to hotel. We were not disappointed and will return.

Room Tip: If you are super sensitive to train tracks two blocks away ask for the north-east side of the pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Three words: Trains !!!!! No sleep !!!!! After that, does anything else matter? Truly, the train whistles range from loud to louder and are most noticeable during the wee hours of the night when there's no white noise to mask it. I repeat, trains, no sleep. I was in room 204, facing the courtyard. Don't let the front desk folks tell you, as they told me, that the noise isn't bad in the rooms facing the courtyard. That was the reason I ranked the service as poor. I specifically inquired about the noise, based on warnings from other reviewers. Why oh why didn't I heed their warnings rather than assume I could get a room w/o train noise if I only requested it?

Room Tip: Room 204 is courtyard, faces the pool. It's a pretty view, but when the train whistle blasts an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
Morro Bay, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We used to live in Oakland, and yet we had a hell of a time choosing a place to stay on our first visit back. There just aren't any decent-yet-reasonably-priced places in town. Sadly, the Inn at Jack London Square errs more on the side of "reasonably priced."

Originally we were planning to stay at the Inn for 3 nights, but then my aunt offered us her house so we switched it to 1 night. When I called to make the change, the person who answered the phone was kind of weird. There was something going on in the background and she kept asking me questions and putting me abruptly on hold before I could answer. I actually called back to confirm that the change had been made because I wasn't confident that she was paying attention.

The pros: a parking garage ($14/day) monitored by a security guard. The room was quiet, although we were only there for about 8 hours in the off-season. The room was clean too. Biggest pro was the price--around $100 a night. That's pretty cheap for the Bay Area, even Oakland.

The cons: a definite "roach motel" vibe. The room and bathroom were tiny. Everything smelled kind of musty and dusty and smoky. An elevator that seems to have been borrowed from the set of a horror movie.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jakethegirl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to spend 1 more day in the bay area. I booked this hotel online through Orbitz. They were offering a "last minute" deal for $99.00 on a Saturday. Most of the hotels in SF were charging close to $200 to stay for 1 night?!
The hotel has a small parking garage which I like especially being downtown Oakland. Check in was easy. The clerk was very friendly. The rooms were immaculately clean! So were the hallways. Beds were comfortable. Restaurants and bars were within walking distance. We definitely got a good deal on this hotel. And we will stay here again next time we are in the bay area.

• Stayed February 2013