“What a great value!” 5 of 5 stars

The Inn at Jack London Square
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“What a great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's not the Ritz BUT we loved this place which was minutes from O.co to see the A's. Great staff, especially Barbara the front desk clerk. Parking garage right under hotel. The place was newly remodeled and very clean. Yes you can hear the trains, but not so much that we couldnt sleep. Great short walk to Jack London Square and great local restaraunts. Nice little cafe next door to hotel. We were not disappointed and will return.

Room Tip: If you are super sensitive to train tracks two blocks away ask for the north-east side of the pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Three words: Trains !!!!! No sleep !!!!! After that, does anything else matter? Truly, the train whistles range from loud to louder and are most noticeable during the wee hours of the night when there's no white noise to mask it. I repeat, trains, no sleep. I was in room 204, facing the courtyard. Don't let the front desk folks tell you, as they told me, that the noise isn't bad in the rooms facing the courtyard. That was the reason I ranked the service as poor. I specifically inquired about the noise, based on warnings from other reviewers. Why oh why didn't I heed their warnings rather than assume I could get a room w/o train noise if I only requested it?

Room Tip: Room 204 is courtyard, faces the pool. It's a pretty view, but when the train whistle blasts an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
Morro Bay, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We used to live in Oakland, and yet we had a hell of a time choosing a place to stay on our first visit back. There just aren't any decent-yet-reasonably-priced places in town. Sadly, the Inn at Jack London Square errs more on the side of "reasonably priced."

Originally we were planning to stay at the Inn for 3 nights, but then my aunt offered us her house so we switched it to 1 night. When I called to make the change, the person who answered the phone was kind of weird. There was something going on in the background and she kept asking me questions and putting me abruptly on hold before I could answer. I actually called back to confirm that the change had been made because I wasn't confident that she was paying attention.

The pros: a parking garage ($14/day) monitored by a security guard. The room was quiet, although we were only there for about 8 hours in the off-season. The room was clean too. Biggest pro was the price--around $100 a night. That's pretty cheap for the Bay Area, even Oakland.

The cons: a definite "roach motel" vibe. The room and bathroom were tiny. Everything smelled kind of musty and dusty and smoky. An elevator that seems to have been borrowed from the set of a horror movie.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jakethegirl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to spend 1 more day in the bay area. I booked this hotel online through Orbitz. They were offering a "last minute" deal for $99.00 on a Saturday. Most of the hotels in SF were charging close to $200 to stay for 1 night?!
The hotel has a small parking garage which I like especially being downtown Oakland. Check in was easy. The clerk was very friendly. The rooms were immaculately clean! So were the hallways. Beds were comfortable. Restaurants and bars were within walking distance. We definitely got a good deal on this hotel. And we will stay here again next time we are in the bay area.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank floracupcake
Tukwila, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This is an older hotel, probably built in the 1930s or 40s. As such, it's got a lot of quirks - poor sound insulation, small bathrooms with old plumbing, and one old elevator. It was a good value for the money, but it is definitely not an upscale property.

On the upside, the property is always kept in immaculate condition - I saw staff sweeping and cleaning at all hours of the day. It's also in an ideal location for car travelers, with quick access to San Francisco, Berkeley, and east bay communities. there is also a great collection of restaurants within a couple blocks.

On the down side, the area seemed sketchy at times - I was frequently hit up by panhandlers at all hours of the day or night. also during my stay, the hotel always seemed to have a large number of 20-something guests that were using the place as a place to party at night, and it occasionally got noisy.

This is a good, basic hotel if you're looking for a economical place to stay in the Bay Area.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jeff510
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for town nights on business and the rate was unbelievable for the Bay Area. Close to freeways, convenient for most East Bay activities.

My room was clean and spacious enough. The bathroom was a bit small. I'd give the accommodations a C+ to B- letter grade.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gardnerville, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were attending a dinner cruise that launched across the water in Alameda so we wanted something close. The price was reasonable so we chose this one. I'm most interested in cleanliness, a comfortable bed and a strong shower. This hotel had all those things. It was a good one night stay. The neighborhood is not one to explore although we did walk one block over to see Jack London Square. In the morning we ordered room service from the Buttercup Cafe. The prices were reasonable and the breakfast very good. Cons: small bathroom, small sink area, toilet ran and had to be finessed each time, shower floor was uneven as if the unit needed to be replaced. Pros:nice looking pool area, free wi-fi, one block from Jack London square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple