“It's fine for the weekend”

Z Hotel Jack London Square
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Carson, California
“It's fine for the weekend”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I was looking for a hotel near restaurants, night life, attractions and water in the Oakland area. I was told about the Jack London Square. I looked for a budget hotel as I am usually am active sight seeing. This hotel is two block from Jack London Square, but wasn't a problem walking back to my room in the evening. The hotel grounds is a non-smoking property which means no smoking anywhere.

The hotel rooms are located on the second and third floors. There is a swimming pool, an elevator, ice machine, soda machine and a self serve laundry facility. The room has a heater, air conditioner, television, blow dryer, cloth iron and an ironing board. The room also has WiFi access with a code given at the front desk. The air conditioner is a little noisey, but it helped block the sound of the train that runs near by. Parking is located under the building or on the street.

There is a family type restaurant named Buttercup Grill which serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner that is located next door. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful with directions and they even printed maps.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
los angeles
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Let me start right off by saying that there is another hotel up the street from this on called "Jack London Inn"...if you know what's good for you, you won't stay there! My hubby called the Jack London Inn and they said they were out of rooms. I told him no they weren't as I had just spoke with Hotels.com and they said they had 1 or two left. Well, needless to say, I picked the right hotel. We pulled up to a somewhat shady looking neighborhood in Oakland. By the looks of the outside my hubby was all mad. I went to check in and a really nice lady named Barbara told me they didn't have any king rooms left as I had reserved, but she stated she would give me a room with two queens. As we went up the elevator I almost got worried as the elevator is really old and a little noisy. When we got to the room I was AMAZED! Large, super clean and super comfy beds. Some reviews out there state that there are bedbugs and hookers and other elements at this hotel. That is not true of Inn at Jack London! Now we walked pass the Jack London Inn and I'm SURE that is the hotel they were speaking of! There's a really nice pool and it has a restaurant attached called the ButterCup which had great breakfast. Especially the biscuits and the bread pudding. We had initially booked 1 night and ended up staying 1 night extra. Great location...lots of bars,restaurants and the marina nearby! Room also had a microwave and fridge!!

Room Tip: Room 327 near the pool is a great room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
McCall, Idaho
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We were so pleasantly surprised by Oakland and by this little inn near the Waterfront!
What a great location! Not only is it near Jack London Square, but easy access, walking or riding the free transport to Chinatown, Old Oakland, and Lake Merritt. There were many great places to eat nearby with the full range of prices and great variety. We walked on the Waterfront each morning, enjoying the fantastic view of San Francisco and the Harbor ships loading and unloading cargo. The BART was so close that we rode it from the airport and walked with our "carry on" luggage to the inn, only to find that there is a shuttle that goes back and forth on the main street for free all day long. We made 2 quick BART trips into San Francisco to see our daughter at her workplace and to go to a concert. Such a great alternative to staying in busy SF. Oakland is a lovely city on the Bay. The Inn is comfortable and the staff caring and helpful. The courtyard with swimming pool and large sitting area was a real plus! Will go back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was looking for a less expensive route to visit SF. Everything I saw was way out of range. Found this hotel with fairly good reviews. I have found reviews to be true. Area is really run down but close to good restaurants and ferry. Price was right, pool, wireless, and flat screen tv. No breakfast though. No microwave or frig in room, but I didn't ask for it either. Room was clean, no bed bugs, and that is what we really needed. We spent the time in SF anyway. Took the ferry early in am and came home at night. Worked great. Trains and a bit noisy at night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 13, 2011

While at a wedding nearby I needed a place for all of our adult kids and a few close friends, and Ii was paying, so I wanted it both nice and affordable. This hotel was perfect. They even had a pool and a good place to eat next door that did room service. It was walking distance of our venue and the staff was most helpful in both booking and suggesting things. Our family had so much fun at this vintage CA motel style place with the easy garage and, with, easy on and off bus to get around Oakland, and access to JL Square and with the ferry, to San Fran. This was perfect for us!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Northridge, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband & I stayed at this hotel many times a few years ago when it was part of a chain, and we often had issues. Now, however, it has been renovated and is greatly improved. Since we were driving, it was a "plus" that they offer free parking. Also, the adjacent restaurant/coffee shop is outstanding (always has been.) This "new & improved" Inn At The Square offered a very clean & comfortable room. When we stayed here years ago, the noise from the nearby trains were sometimes annoying, but this time we were not disturbed at all. The staff was courteous and had honored my request of booking a room that had a tub (some rooms do not). Our room was ready upon our arrival and we had one with a tub. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you need a tub, be sure to request it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BJO_10
Reno, NV
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This was the perfect location for attending an event at Jack London Square, very convenient. My room was large, comfortable and I had a microwave, coffee maker and a refrigerator. Ok the hotel is older, so there were a few cracked tiles in the shower, but it was not dirty. There were two sinks (one outside the toliet room), which was great. In new hotels the door closes fast, hard, and LOUD. Here you have to close your own door - which means no loud slamming doors all morning. It was quiet and I loved this. I will definately stay here again. It's not elegant, it is clean quiet & convenient - I parked my car and walked everywhere I needed to go for the weekend. Yes, you'll hear minor distant train sounds, which I considered cool. I only ate breakfast on property and it was inexpensive, with good sized portions, and a good, fair price.

My favorite dinner restaurant is also across the street: Everett & Jones serving southern style Bar-B-Q, totally terrific.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard rm (shileded frm st noise)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business