New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bay Breeze Inn Oakland

Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Memphis, Tennessee
“BEST ECONOMY HOTEL IN OAKLAND !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had the opportunity to stay here for a few days last week while visiting San Francisco.
Just about 15 miles outside of downtown San Francisco the Bay Breeze Inn was the perfect choice. At check in the friendly front desk greets everyone with a smile and a prompt easy check in. The room was clean and spacious with all the basic amenities you need (also has microwave and fridge which was a bonus). Housekeeping staff was friendly and I always came back to a fresh clean room. Great wi-fi speed and I had no problems surfing the web. Hotel has plenty of convenient parking too. All in all a wonderful stay--and I highly recommend checking it out. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dan W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed here for more than a week now and I have found it to be a very good stay.. First of all, the rooms smell CLEAN and appear newly remodeled. The location is industrial but very quite at night. Eateries, gas stations as well as highways are within blocks of the location. I travel all of the country as a contractor and I can safely say that for the budget I am on, this motel meets and exceed my hopes and expectation for a peaceful, clean and quite stay while I am in the San Francisco Bay Area for work. Also, what is very important, is the staff and management team are extremely friendly and accommodating to their guests which is nice after a hard-days-work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank robrien49
Bay Breeze I, Owner at Bay Breeze Inn Oakland, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you Mr. OBrien for your valuable feedback. We are glad that we met your expectations. And thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you while your stay in Oakland.
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm afraid this review is mostly reactive, and for that I apologize, but when I see a business being treated with wretched unfairness I feel a responsibility to respond.  Apparently some people think they should get Courvoiier and caviar on a Coors and crackers budget. (Or they're the competition trying to steer more business their way?) I review businesses for how well they provide for their target consumer and this inn does superbly at a price point less than Motel 6. You simply will not find a better deal within 40 miles of San Francisco.

Look at the photos--does this look like a dump? I checked in for two nights recently for a grand total of $107 because the weekly-rate hotel near my job has to kick you out after four-weeks of occupancy or you become a tenant under California law. (Thanks California do-gooders--one again you've buggered the very people your nanny-state laws ostensibly aim to protect. If occupants keep paying the weekly rate, no sane hotel owner is going to make them check out, ever.)

What I found was a clean, tastefully painted and furnished room with a pillow-top mattress more comfy than the one I once slept on at the Plaza Hotel in New York. The granite sink and shaving area outside the toilet and shower were particularly attractive. After I showered, I microwaved a Taco Hell burrito, retrieved my eggnog from the fridge below, then watched a minotaur rape a squire in "Your Highness" on HBO. Afterward, I finished John D. MacDonald's "Pale Gray for Guilt" by the light of the bright lights recessed in the ceiling above the head of the bed.

So what's missing? A friendly staff? No, they couldn't have been nicer. Parking? There's a ton of it. Lamps? See above--the recessed ceiling lights do a better job for bedtime reading than most of the small 60-watt table lamps found in most inns. Wall art? Not in my room--there was a nice print. Shampoo? Oh puh-leeze. And if you want more than two pillows, princess, bring you own--I do.

What other issues have been raised? Scary people? I didn't see any. Just a lot of trucks parked about, indicating a working crowd trying to get a good night's sleep. Scary neighborhood? There's nothing there to be scared of. It's a semi-industrial area of construction suppliers and such, absolutely deserted at night. No self-respecting criminal would waste his time there unless he wanted to steal some garden statuary. The motel itself is enclosed within a high fence topped with concertina wire, with ingress and egress along a single drive by the office.  It's secure enough. DO bring some foam earplugs (recommend Pretty in Pink brand--so soft, so comfy, so pink). The freeway hugs one side of the inn and trains run about a half mile north. (Me, I love the sound a train whistle at night. I requested that side off the inn.)

The worst problem you'll likely have is working out the route to the place. Coliseum Way is one-way at that point, so you'll probably need to circle around using Alameda Avenue and 50th Street. Consult a map app.

Room Tip: There's a horse-shoe shaped center court that may shield both freeway and train noise. I notice...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank TaylorJanvier
Bay Breeze I, Manager at Bay Breeze Inn Oakland, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind gesture in sharing your opinion on tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a comfortable stay at Bay Breeze Inn on your trip to Oakland. We hope you choose us again and give us the opportunity to serve you once again.
Brno, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Very shady place. Located in an industrial area of Oakland, the neighbourhood is really messy, and quite frankly, looks really dangerously. Dont believe anything, that these 5 star ratings say, it is completely made up. When we were checking-in, two guys rather left the motel, becauce, as they said, they were afraid for their life, because of the guy next door. Management didnt do anything, and of course, did not provide any refund to those guys.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank David_Smo

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Will definitely stay here again next time we attend weekend A's games. The rooms were very nice and the bathroom were wonderful. Just minutes away from the Coliseum made this hotel perfect. The lady Manager was very accomodating and ensured we had a comfortable stay. I would rate A+ for their hospitality. Glad I changed my reservations from a place in Berkely to here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cindy S
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Bay Breeze Inn for a night before flying back home. We accidentally left our camera in the room. When I called the hotel, the staff was very honest and let me know the cams was indeed in the room. They mailed the camera back, which I am very grateful for.

The room itself was pretty nice. Unfortunately, there was a lot of construction going on, so we really didn't have a great night rest. However, I believe if there wasn't any construction, it would have been fine. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

Hotel is close to the airport and Coliseum and very easy to get to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank tracymcintyre
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

we have stayed 3 nights in the bay breeze in Oakland. The Motel is clean and in a good shape. The personnel is very nice and helpful. The Motel is well located to go to the airport or to San Francisco down town. The best price we found in the whole area remunerated some traffic noises on early morning. Thank you guys and hopefully we will see you as soon as possible. Holger and Isa from Germany.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple