“No problems, good cheap alternative to San Fran” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Imperial Inn

Imperial Inn
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“No problems, good cheap alternative to San Fran”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stopped here because the hotel prices on San Francisco are unbelievable, the most expensive place I stayed on my trip through California. We stayed here for three nights and buzzed across to San Fran in the morning and at night on the BART which is within walking distance. The BART is cheap and really fast. You have to pay a toll to get to San Fran anyway so you might as-well ride it. The area is not as bad as people make out, I wouldn't stay here if I was a single young female, but as a couple or something I'm sure you will be fine. Where I was brought up was rougher than this, and I'm still alive.

The staff in the hotel were all Indian, not that this makes a difference to anything but I thought it was a spot odd. It's also Buddhist, so nice peaceful people. Check-in was efficient and the staff were friendly and helpful. When I arrived at my room it had a very strong aroma of incense. I don't mind incense but it was a bit too strong. Room was clean, bed was clean, bathroom was clean. TV is huge and has good cable. WiFi works but its a bit slow.

I stayed three nights and the incense wore off pretty much after one. Parking is good and the parking lot is fairly busy so I felt fine leaving the car there. Carl's Jr next door is convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Craig106

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was called for a gig at the last minute, in an area of CA in which good, clean, SAFE & FRUGAL lodging it hard to come by. When two venues fell through, I was stuck. Set the GPS on Lodging and drove around areas of Emeryville and Oakland which have seen much better days. Passed by the Imperial Inn, saw the parking lot was not only clean of all types of detritus, human and otherwise, but that it also had only one opening for entrance and exit alike. I pulled in, not feeling too positive when I saw the packed lot. Inside, the manager, Andy, was very pleasant, and explained he could put me up, but only for four nights, at his “best” rate, which came to, with tax and fees, $70 per night. The gig was to last at least 2-3 weeks, but I would deal with the housing issue on the weekend. I said fine, handed over $280 and went to my room.

Beggars cannot be choosers, and thus I found myself walking up the stairs to the second of three floors, the elevator not working. And then, walking to the next to the last room on the landing, quite a hike. I was heartened, however, to find a nice refrigerator and microwave, good TV, free WiFi, which was a little shaky due to my distance from the office. The bed and all other accouterments were fine. I settled my things into the room, then drove the mile or so to the closest Safeway, where I stocked up on items for the few days I would be there, both for work and before and after.

Next day, I returned to the room after a grueling day and found the bed made. Nice. But the towels were gone! Including the clean, unused ones from the rack. Bizarre. Never saw that before, ever. Clerk on duty was nice enough to send up a maid with everything, including the towels, soap, TP, etc. Next day, same thing. Oh, well, at last my own things were left untouched.

I the end, this was a safe haven for a few days until I got settled into a more permanent-temporary setting for the remainder of my gig. There is security at night and a Carl’s Jr. right next door, as well as other shops very close by.

Room Tip: Ask for Andy, the Manager. Very nice man, professional, knowledgeable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Abie S
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were visiting friends in Oakland and were pleased to find the reasonably priced Imperial Inn. While it met our needs, in terms of location and cost, we were honestly a bit disappointed in the quality and cleanliness of the room. Perks: free parking, free wifi, a fridge, cable tv, spacious room. Downsides: overall dingy feel to the room (e.g., hole in door of bathroom which also didn't close all the way, something like a big hole/burn in the comforter, phone was disconnected and didn't work at all, etc.). The staff was friendly and welcoming. I should say that we're really not fussy people and don't mind a little noise or mess, and I don't doubt that other rooms might be in better shape than ours was, but I did find the cumulative drab details of the room off-putting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank MelissaWeinberg
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Well firstly it is important to point out that this is a value inn not a 5 star hotel. My 4 star rating is for the fact that we had a very good experience for the money spent. Good points - clean, big rooms, with cable. Quiet, despite being close to the road. Staff were polite. Location is convenient, it's in a run down part of town but the car park is behind closed gates so that gave me piece of mind regarding security. It is also very close to the shops and restaurants on Piedmont avenue, which was the main reason we were there. Bad points - the bathroom is small and shower only ok.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sirtravellotLondon
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I rate this place very good because everything is relative. In this part of Oakland you are *not* going to find a Hilton, or even a Holiday Inn. You will find quite a few places where you will probably not want to stay. This motel, however, may be the best in the neighborhood (which isn't that bad - great bagels just around the corner on Telegraph). It is clean, inexpensive, has comfortable beds and more than adequate amenities, and the management is friendly and helpful. (For example, I returned late one afternoon to find that my room had not yet been cleaned. I talked to the manager and he had it made up within 10 minutes.) Perhaps my only caveat: the area is noisy, the walls not thick; if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank DavidCO46
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My mom and I wanted to find a room close to the Fox Theater for a concert. The Imperial was in a very close location to the venue and, as an added bonus, its vicinity to the Macarthur Bart station was unbeatable. The motel is dated on the outside but it seems like the family that owns the place has put in a great effort to make the interior of the rooms more up-to-date and comfortable. We were only using the room from about 6pm until 9am the next morning, so there are a few parts of the room I cannot speak for, like the quality of the shower or the operation of the appliances (though the fridge kept our beer cold!). It seemed like the channels on the TV were not programmed correctly. In the room was a channel listing of at least fifty channels but I doubt that more than 20 of them were actually view-able. BUT, we weren't there to watch TV, and that's my only complaint. The bed was very comfortable and I got a great night's rest. The most memorable part of our stay at the Imperial Inn is how nice and accommodating the family that owns the hotel was to us. When it was time for us to go to the show, it was going to take an excessive amount of time for a cab to come get us. The hotel owner just had his lovely daughter take us a very short distance up the road to the Fox Theater. It was no inconvenience and she even told us to call when the show was over for a ride home (though, when it was over, we felt it was too late and just got a cab back). For $70 in the Bay Area, I feel like we got our money's worth. We were so surprised at how nice they were, they have earned our business for many Fox Theater concerts to come.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Tess C
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed for one night as I was going to an event in SF. Rooms near the event were pricey or cheap but one risked contracting hep C by the looks of them. I stayed in Oakland for the price and this inn had several reviews recommending it. Check in was fast and the staff was polite. The outside was clean and the court yard was very cute. Only one way in and out of the actual hotel which I liked as it kept funny folks away. My two queen room was a good size and appeared clean. A microwave and mini fridge came in handy during my quick stay as I didn't have much time to go eat elsewhere so I took my own stuff. Bathroom was very tiny. Shower head was very low so I had to adjust and minimal toiletries provided. Toilet paper was super thin and cheap. Otherwise plenty of towels were provided and were clean. There was also an iron and hair dryer available and some closet space. Good selection of channels on the tv. Checked the sheets before laying on them and found no hair, stains on them but I did find a few tiny holes. Coffee machine was missing the pot and I wasn't given the wifi code. What bothered me was that the door did not lock properly and thankfully my brother was there to slam it and wiggle the lock so we were safe. This is not a five star! There are improvements to be made but I can tell management works hard to keep it up. Budget cannot be beat and I slept well for one night. Overall good stay!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank maria s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Inn at Temescal
The Washington Inn
The Washington Inn
#24 of 49 in Oakland
3.0 of 5 stars 215 reviews

Been to Imperial Inn? Share your experiences!