WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Affectionate staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went to visit oakland, CA in late january and stayed here at the Imperial Inn for 6 nights. The first thing I noticed that caught my attention right away, was the complementary spiritual literature placed in plain view inside the office. With the Watchtower magazines being purposely placed, it indicated that the staff had a knowledge and Understanding of Our Grand Creator. This made me very comfortable. Especially since I am a believer. I arrived in town late, therefore I was a little upset to learn that my reservation could not be found. I had booked online earlier in the month through travelers But the office had no evidence of me booking. None the less, everything was resolved once I presented my confirmation papers. Once inside my room, I was blown away. The room was tidy, and spacious, the carpet was clean, and the furniture was nice. My room came with soap, shampoo, plenty of towels, a bottle water and a chocolate chip cookie. Everyday the room was refreshed. There was only one hanger in my room but no big deal. The best part of my stay was the staff without a doubt. Everyone working there was very hospitable from my the time of my arrival until my departure. The staff took pride in the interior and the exterior of the motel. early in the morning you could see the staff watering the plants, sweeping the grounds, and cleaning the fountain inside the courtyard. I was allowed to print out my boarding pass from behind the front desk, and I also was granted a late check out. When I return to Oakland i will stay here again. Downtown Oakland is only 10 mins away by bus. I played basketball at a playground that was only a 5 minute walk from the Imperial inn. Food wise, there is a Carl Jr's restaurant that serves outstanding burgers right out front of the Imperial Inn, and a Jack In The Box, (something us folks don't have on the east coast) right down the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Perry907

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lovely management Susie n staff Dev provided great, polite service even at odd hours way past midnight. Spacious rooms. Replenished toiletries n towels daily. Excellent location: next to Carls Junior n Korean restaurant; 5 minutes walk from Bart, half an hour bart ride to San Francisco. Also very short walking distance to Walgreens supermarket n more than 10 eateries serving cosmopolitan food from Italian to Chinese to Ethiopian.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Winnie32810
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have seen many nice photos of The Imperial so I was expecting that, but the reality is a bit less. Granted, with city taxes and all the price I paid for my room on a busy weekend was fair, but I'd like to see a few improvements.

Good: Very helpful staff. I had a few problems with my room and everyone was extremely efficient in correcting them. Fair water pressure in shower, great to have a frig & microwave in room, comfortable bed, constant fan on wall unit for white noise if you need it, fairly quiet at night, fast food joint right next door, and 3 blocks from a BART station.

Bad: Carpet needs to be steam cleaned, upholstered furniture is faded & stained, lack of hangers (but I could have asked for more), and some of the furniture tops were sticky and greasy. I could also smell cigarette smoke from the rooms beside or above me and the room smelled very heavily perfumed with maybe incense when I checked in. I opened the door to air it out. It's not in the greatest part of town but my room felt secure. There is not a large selection of restaurants within close walking distance either.

I would stay here again, however, to save money and avoid having to rent a car. Being able to avoid traffic and use the nearby BART was a plus for me.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking, choose your discounts online when you book because they won't give them to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked last minute and stayed here the end of august with friends for a week as part of last minute california travels. Very good and decent place for the price you're getting. Beds were reasonably comfortable and place was clean. Staff were lovely and very friendly. Looses a star mainly because of the towels. There were four of us in the room and they should have been changed everyday as there was nowhere to hang them to dry. Apart from that great place to stay last minute on the cheap.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank L_california_14
Koszalin, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

While travelling to San Francisco, we chose to stay at the Imperial Inn, since it was one of the cheapest options. The hotel wasn't that bad, conditions were at the average level. Two double beds, very small bathroom, a TV, air conditioning. Just what you are expecting to get for that price. The neighbourhood was really scary though. We decided once to go to the store at night and it wasn't the smartest choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank szyn3k
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Imperial Inn during my U.S. vacation in June 2012 and primarily for visiting San Francisco. The location of the hotel is perfect for daily visits to The City by car or BART.

The hotel itself is okay-ish if you don't have high demands and don't want to pay the overpriced San Francisco hotel/motel room rates.

The rooms are dated and the furniture is kinda worn out and dirty. However the bed i had was clean, comfy and was made-up every day by the housekeeping. And yes the bathroom with the toilet is very... very small, it will be snake-like to open and close the door when inside :)

The neighbourhood where the hotel is located is sketchy, especialy at night. I knew Oakland wasn't the best place to stay for a vacation when i booked the room. And the funny thing is, i got that comfirmed when i arrived in the USA at the airport customs. The TSA security officer who questioned me asked me where i was going to stay and wished me goodluck after i said Oakland xD But the hotel and its parking are fenced off, so at night its kinda save.

I would stay at the Imperial Inn again if they lowered the room rates, because the rates almost doubled since my stay in June 2012 (i made reservations via their website).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Phillostar
oakland, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

nuff said. there are BED BUGS AT THIS HOTEL. do yourself a favor and stay away from the imperial. its not an imperial experience. to their credit they gave full refund but.....doing the laundry all day and then having to schlep around an unknown town searching for bed bug spray which was incredibly hard to find (bed bath and beyond had an overly cinnamon spray we eventually gave into, very cinnamon). go up to berkeley for the 5 min drive to la quinta or something.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bugscratcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Inn at Temescal
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Oakland Marriott City Center
Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Imperial Inn? Share your experiences!