“Fabulous, Reasonably Priced Thai Food”
Review of Champa Garden

Champa Garden
Ranked #51 of 1,281 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Los Angeles, California
“Fabulous, Reasonably Priced Thai Food”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I wasn't sure what I was in for - it didn't seem a restaurant could possibly be in such a residential neighborhood. Wow, I never ate Thai food like this. Delicious!! We were a good sized group, so I got to taste several of the dishes. I couldn't pick out a favorite amongst them - I wish I lived near enough that I could go again soon.

• Visited May 2012

Oakhurst, CA
“Great food”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We were pet sitting for some friends near Lake Merritt and I read about Champa Garden in tripadvisor so we tried it outlast week. Our lunch meals were so good that when our wedding anniversary came up today, instead of going to San Francisco to celebrate, we went back to Champa Garden. This time we took another writer's recommendation and ordered the Champa Sampler. It was great!!
The food was great. The staff was good. The price was right. The neighborhood was questionable, but who cares.
Try it.

• Visited May 2012
Oakland, California
“best laosian food!”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

yummy appetizers! and brings such a mix crowd all the time. feels like grandma is cooking back there!

Oakland, California
“An Out of the Way Gem”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you like Asian food go directly to this out of the way little restaurant at 8th ave. and E. 21st St. in Oakland. Sample the Nam Kaow, which is rice ball with pork ,lime, etc. When it comes out, it basically looks like a plate full of broken rice with bits of preserved veggies and pork and scallions. It comes with a huge plate of lettuce leaves, and cilantro and mint leaves. Take a lettuce leaf and scoop up some of the Nam Kaow and throw some herbs on top. It is really, really good. Lao noodle soup with viscous broth and thick chewy noodles is also very good. The menue is loaded with exotic dishes that are easy on the wallet. This Laotian/Thai restaurant is an example of what makes Oakland Oakland.

Detroit, Michigan
“Yummy food for an affordable price!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Husband and I came here with his brother, cousin, and our 2 friends. Since we were the only ones that never been here, I was excited to try some of their eats. Based on our company's comments, we came here at 12pm on a Friday. I was worried that because this place is so popular that it would be busy by then, but to my surprise, it wasn't crowded......YET. :)

We sat down in long table in the middle of the restaurant, and discussed what we'd order. Here's the rundown:

- 2 orders of the Sampler
- Pad See Ew
- 3 orders of Pad Thai
- Basil Fried Rice
- Chicken He Fen (wide rice noodle) soup

I ordered the the Chicken Rice Noodle Soup, and I really liked it. Even though there was a tad bit too much cornstarch in the broth (I was expecting a more brothy soup, kind of like Chao Zhou style), the flavors were really nice. With the extra squeeze lime in the already aromatic broth, both Husband and I enjoyed it. Husband even said that he liked the soup better than his Pad Thai! I had a small sampling of it, and thought it was a tad on the sweeter side. I tend to like my Pad Thai to have more of a tangy flavor to it. However, it was really well done. The proportion of noodles to meat and vegetables were nicely balanced. Too often, I've eaten Pad Thai that was just swimming in vegetables. Sometimes you can't even find the noodles!

The sampler was really nice. I haven't had something like that in a very long time. The egg rolls were fried well, and nothing was over seasoned and oily.

The rest of the group thoroughly enjoyed their entrees, as they said that they have always consistently had a great meal here. Great quality for the price.

Just a word of caution, the place is not very big, so queue up as early as possible. By the time we left (~1:30pm), there were A LOT of people waiting inside and outside the restaurant.

• Visited December 2011