“Ideal for runners, lawyers and those on a budget. Very basic.”

Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt
Ranked #39 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a tough one to review.

First the positive: This motel enjoys a great location on Lake Merritt, close to the County Court, the Cathedral of Light and other major Oakland institutions. The management is very solicitous and engaged. The bed was comfortable and there is free breakfast.

I chose this motel because it had a positive TripAdvisor review and because I wanted to start my work day (I'm on business) with a nice run around Lake Merritt (the run was great!), there is free parking and free Internet -- I planned to work all morning from my room.

Now the negatives: The motel is old and while there are some improvements (bed, desks, etc), it is very dated, The bathroom in my room (126) looked to be in near original condition and I had plumbing problems when I first used the toilet -- not a great way to start a stay, especially given that I pulled in at 10 pm. The worst part was that the wireless service simply didn't work at a level that I could work. So it's off to find a Starbucks.

The motel staff had someone in my room immediately after I complained about the toilet and they discounted my room due to the internet issue.

All in all, if you want to start your day with a run in an extremely convenient place, but don't care about a luxe travel experience, this is the place for you. Next time, I'll make sure I'm closer to the wireless router and I certainly would never stay here with my wife.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank raroberto

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Selected this hotel/motel at the last moment. It was nearby daughter's home, so we booked for one night, on Jan. 1st. Our room had two double beds, 21-in. flatscreen TV, WIFI, small refrigerator and microwave, Bathroom was tiny and if you're more than 5'10" you'll be bumping elbows and knees on the fixtures. It reminded me of hotels in China and sure enough, the owner is from Chinese Mongolia. The night desk clerk was polite and offered good service (clean towels and extra blanket), but the room was subpar. The Heater/AC unit was noisy and the housekeepers were absent, so the rooms had not been cleaned and customers were complaining; the manager offered discounts. The room was ok for one night, but I'd reconsider a 2nd night. You are one block from the Lake and a shopping mall and several local restaurants. Walking at night is risky; best to have a car to get downtown and to other shopping areas. Free parking lot available to guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd or 3rd floor facing Lake Merritt.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pietrotak
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I'm one of those people who wonder why more people don't visit Oakland. There are world class museums and amazing architecture that visually tells the history of commerce and mid-century modern urban planning. If you go, stay at this hotel, which is secure, newly refurbished (still have to fix the cable, but that's on the way), and friendly. Free breakfast in the morning will get you going.

Room Tip: choose upper floor, away from the street -- is quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I booked a reservation through hotwire, and somehow in the process I ended up with a single bed room instead of a two bed room. I called the front desk of the hotel and they were super helpful. For a value hotel, this place is pleasingly safe, secure, clean, and has impressive customer service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Colin G
ABVIOaklandCA L, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Thanks so much we’re glad we could help!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here four nights in late October 2013. Yes, it's an older motel and has some problems, but for four nights we paid about the same as we have for one night in a nicer place in SF. The location is excellent, steps from Lake Merritt, walking distance to BART, and surprisingly quiet. The room was clean and had clearly had a few recent upgrades. The manager Paul was very accommodating and will talk your ear off about his plans for the place! There's free coffee, tea, pastries and fresh fruit in the morning, and free wi-fi. We appreciated that it was a 100% non-smoking property.
Some negatives:
The television only had a few channels (though watching tv was not high on our trip agenda).
The bathroom had no electrical outlet (when we asked Paul provided an extension cord).
The thick sheet of bulletproof glass at the office counter is tacky.
The door to the room was old (lock was brand new, though, and very secure) and had pretty wide gaps around the edges.
No elevator.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the feedback! We’re always looking to improve!

Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

It's the total package! We recently stayed at the ABVI in downtown Oakland (Lake Merritt) for a week while apartment hunting in the area. Paul (General Manager) and staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The improvements to the rooms and common areas (fast free wifi, 32" flat panel HDTV's, and furnishings) have transformed it from where it used to be.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks so much! We’re always trying to help our guests the best we can!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hi,
we stayed about six nights in the motel in september '13. Yes, it is in between a decent and a sketchy area (as previous comment says). After searching for a motel directly in Frisco (there was none for a good price available due to America's Cup), we came across this ABVI and booked at once. It is as described by first comment, it is reopened, the staff is very motivated and engaged, especially the General Manager made it a comfortable stay. The first room was a bid loud due to other guests, next day we could change the room easily. Once, the fridge was broken, it was exchanged with no delay. The motel is located best, by car or by train (BART) you can reach Frisco Downtown within 25 minutes (incl. walk to the station!). We got borrowed a hairdryer and an extension cable easily (some baths do not include hairdryer and/or AC/DC sockets). The Motel offers 24 hours coffee, this one was the best coffee, we got during our 10 different hotels/motels we visited in California during our first stay in US. It is just good value in money, the surveillance cameras offer some security, also, the second gate closes very early, so that staff has to see everybody who's about to enter. Maybe the management can put away that thick glass safety window in order to show safety of this motel.
All in all, good value for money when visiting Frisco/Bay Area. We wish the Team of ABVI Lake Merritt all the best for future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not directly located at the stairs, then nightly coming guest should not disturb your...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoM1011

Thank you so much for the feedback! Great Room Tip too!