“Nice ambience - pretentious food - slow service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
SF bay area
“Nice ambience - pretentious food - slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recently visited TA for a birthday dinner for my son. There were 5 of us. The decor is very spare with art inspired by Day of the Dead images. They play Black + White Mexican movies on a wall in the corner. Very interesting, a bit loud but pleasant. Unfortunately, the service and the food were disappointing: pricey small plates (the small scoop of guacamole came with 10 blue tortilla chips), the drinks took nearly 30 minutes for the 1st round, it was slightly better at 20 minutes for the 2nd round. The waitress did comp us for 2 drinks for the delay but unfortunately, I will probably not return.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Oakland
“One of the Best in Oakland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Being an Oakland resident, I am in the process of adding reviews of my favorite dining spots here in my beloved hometown. Tamarindo is probably my favorite restaurant here, not just for the food and libations, but for the fact that every meal I've enjoyed at this great spot has been such a great amount of fun. A special thanks to the staff for that, who really have an intuitive knack for sniffing out a special occasion, and adding a special touch.
The food here is tropical Mexican. Quite different from the standard (but quite good) Mexican fare found elsewhere in Oakland (note: we have some of the BEST taco trucks around, but that's another review...). There is a great selection of small plates, each one a little treasure, followed by a trio of platos fuertes to choose from. My particular favorite is their Cochinita Pibil. To my tastebuds simply the best I have tried, either in Mexico or the US.
Don't hesitate to order their Tamarindo Margarita, their signature cocktail. I have introduced a number of friends who "don't drink" to that tasty little glass... when the waiter comes around again, they always bashfully say, "Well, I guess I could have just ONE more..."
Tamarindo features a decent selection of mezcales as well; a hard thing to find here in the US.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Flirty Service , Excellent Beverages and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Located in downtown Oakland, Tamarindo serves upscale Mexican fare. Our waiter was very flirty, adding little comments en espanol when he was taking our order ("quieres casarme?", etc). Quite charming, actually. He was very persuasive and knowledgeable about the menu. Everything we had was excellent. It was relatively quiet even though they were busy. I found out later that my brother and sister-in-law have been there many times (I was just visiting and took my daughters out for dinner).

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Cynla
Anaheim Hills, Ca
“Great gourmet mex food and service and an upscale atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Excellent gourmet shrimp tacos, chilaquiles, fresh corn with cheese and chiles, roasted fresh vegetables, steak tacos, and seared scallops. Chicken enchiladas a little dry with not much flavor. Good selection of choices for vegetarians here. Margarita ok, not great. Excellent rapid service. Upscale casual chic atmosphere. Went for dinner at 7 pm on a Saturday night and finished eating by 7:30. Reservations for parties of 5 or more. Two blocks from the Mariott Hotel. A little expensive for the size of portions. Cost about $30 per person and only 2 out of the five in our party had a drink.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ski_dive_fiend
Lafayette, California
“Outstanding Service and delicous food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Tamarindo is in a beautifully restored old building in downtown Oakland. High tin ceilings, simple furnishings, nice lighting. Everyone who helped us was very knowledgeable about the menu. The cocktails are fresh and delicious. The menu is large and full of delicious choices. We were a large group sp we got to try most of the menu. We enjoyed the guacamole, ceviche, queso fundido, empanadas, and the skirt steak. I esepcailly liked the chilaquiles and enchiladas con pipian - pumpkin sauce. Oooh, and we liked the mole too! Very convivial place - I highly recommend it!

• Visited March 2013