“Good and cheap Chinese and Vietnamese food”
Review of Chinatown

Chinatown
Ranked #13 of 127 things to do in Oakland
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Good and cheap Chinese and Vietnamese restaurant. Nice Asian stores selling Asian products as well. Walking distance from Bart!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Too many people and the stores are not neat and too crowded!!!! Not that much scenery to see, and hard to find a parking space. Too many homeless >

Reviewed February 25, 2013

After living in China for a year and a half I find it interesting to immerse myself back in the hustle and bustle of China town. Nothing fancy, just interesting sights and smells (without the hanging ducks). The chatter brings back fond memories of shopping in China. I wouldn't go out of your way to visit here but I come for lunch every time I'm in the area (see review on Joy Luck) and enjoy myself.

1  Thank flh65_10
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is no tourist trap; Chinatown in Oakland is about the Chinese of Oakland. It's where they live, work, shop, and dine. It's a real slice of Chinese-Americana, without any touristy hype. I'm not suggesting it as a stop on anyone's itinerary. If one happens to be in Oakland, however, it may be interesting to wander around the shops and markets for an honest view into Chinese living.

2  Thank SalsaB
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Chinatown in Oakland suffers from comparison to chinatown in San Francisco which is much larger with many more shops and restaurants. When we needed Chinese slippers, the Oakland shopkeeper said his prices where higher than San Francisco because of the distance coming across the Bay. Of course all the containers come from China through the Port of Oakland. That was the last straw. We go to Chinatown in San Francisco for shopping and food or we get takeout from the Chinese resturant in our Oakland neighborhood.