“Fun place.. ”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Fun place.. ”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is a go to for local people to get together with friends have a drink and great food. Great vibe and chill setting! Must check it out.

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Bday dinner desination”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was such a cute place. The atmosphere is chill but has an exciting night life vibe. There was a dj spinning some soul music and house that kept the energy up as well. I got the catfish with kale and fries. IT was delish and my friends enjoyed their meals as well. Also the staff was nice and had my reservation waiting for me and let me and my fiance sit down before our party even got there. love it. I would def. go back maybe for some dancing too.

• Visited November 2013
Bay Area, CA
“A Great Oakland Choice that is also Open Late”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Luka's is definitely LOCAL. Luka's is definitely OAKLAND. For that, I like it and respect it. Before the Uptown area of Oakland started to be redeveloped (when I moved to Oakland, there was no such thing as "Uptown" Oakland) -- before Ozumo, before Mua, before Z-bar, before Plum -- there was only Luka. It's an Oakland institution.

The food is good. The gratineed mac-n-cheese with four cheeses is a favorite. Their frites are great. They recently added a veggie burger (I'm vegetarian), though I haven't tried it yet. Many people love their regular beef burger. They also have brunch on Sundays (which I haven't tried).

Luka stays open until midnight, Sunday-to-Tuesday, and until 2a from Wednesday-to-Saturday, making it a true late-night option. Dinner stops at 10p, but there is a late-night menu option that stops at midnight seven days per week. The bar is fantastic, with premium liquors and great recipes for their mixology.

On the downside, Luka's can be loud, with music and televisions. There is a pool table in the back. Sometimes it's louder than others. It depends on how many people are there. I prefer it more low key. Still, Luka's doesn't pose. It's the real deal. It doesn't aim to be anything other than a local, honest place with real food and real drinks. That it happens to use high quality ingredients -- local, organic, sustainable -- is no gimmick.

Luka's is a great, non-chain, Oakland option. Service isn't always the best, and sometimes you have to order at the bar because there are no servers. Still, it's a find.

• Visited July 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“solid, but service declining”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I work in downtown Oakland and USED to frequent this spot weekly, early on a couple times a week.

Solid food: great burger you can actually order & get medium rare, best fries in Uptown, Oyster Mondays, changing creative specials & soups, even a cheese plate for when you're feeling "fu-fu".

Solid cocktails: Fairly wide range of spirits, signatures that actually taste good, quality ingredients (fresh juices, brandied cherries) and bartender's that for know what they are doing. They pour a good Guinness and have a solid tap lineup.

Experience: You can have several types... sit at the bar, grab a table, head to the back for a game of pool or pinball, even club-style in the evenings... Something to fit your mood!

Service: As some have noted of late, in the past year or so, host & waitress service has been (to put it lightly) inconsistent. With Uptown's competition raising the "bar" (pun intended) this piece is becoming more important. I beg Luka's to step up the expectations here, it's going to make the difference in making this not just a neighborhood spot for regulars and a destination spot. Even as a "semi-regular" I've been privy to many waitress/host fumbles from seating by-passes, long waits for drink & food and yes, attitude. Letting the carefully crafted food sit in the window does the hard work of the chef & cooks and real injustice. Even with the solid food/drink, if the service is rough, people will look elsewhere.

I normally hit the bar and have a "I remember you" relationship with most of them so bar service is excellent and I highly suggest it...

I'll re-visit this again in a bit... I really want to bring this up to a 4 star where it belongs!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kimo B
Oaktown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You can find better service on the moon's of Saturn.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It took an hour and a half to get a burger, but they did comp my drinks. The burger was good, but by the time I got it I was too old to be able to chew normal food.

Visited March 2012