“Yoshi's has stepped up their game!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yoshi's

Yoshi's
Ranked #11 of 1,226 Restaurants in Oakland
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oakland, California
“Yoshi's has stepped up their game!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been a fan of Yoshi's since they were located on Claremont Avenue. Like any 'classic' restaurant that's been around awhile, you can pretty much expect a 'good' or a 'bad' dining experience as chefs, ingredients and trends change and you never know what you're going to get. WELL...Yoshi's in Oakland is DEFINITELY on an upswing to 'really good'!!

Went to Yoshi's last month for a 60th birthday party with a party of 25. I had gone to Yoshi's earlier to drop off a 'happy birthday' banner to the very kind manager who told me he would hang it as prominently as possible; he did, it looked great. Yoshi's also printed out a special birthday menu with our friends name at the top- nice touch.

THE FOOD? Yoshi's is BACK! They must have a new chef because the food was not good, it was FABULOUS!! We were especially surprised at the quality and freshness given that we were in a fairly large group and the menu was pre-set. Everything was delicious!

Great job Yoshi's. Now, you're not just a 'supper club' you're a serious Japanese sushi restaurant! Thanks!

1 Thank gidgettravels

Piedmont, California
“Improved, but no bento boxes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We ate at Yoshi's (Oakland) and enjoyed an R&B performance. Hadn't been there for years so we immediately noticed the following changes:
1. The traditional Japanese menu was replaced by a more Western style menu, e.g., no bento boxes or donburi, but most dishes were prepared with some Japanese ingredients and cooking styles.
2. The system for reserving seats at the performance was greatly improved where the wait person reserves your theatre seats for you rather than the old system where the customer had to save seats by leaving a marker.

Visited April 2013
Redwood City, California
“Cozy auditorium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a great place to see some popular entertainers. Parking is right next door to Yoshi's, so it's very convenient. You can make dinner reservations at their chic Japanese restaurant ahead of time. This may give you better seats to the venue. I enjoyed being able to see this singer and band and not having to lean around big heads.

Visited November 2012
Fresno, California
“"Great Jazz Venue!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My daughter and I saw the 10:00 p.m. Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band show at this venue on March 15. This was my third show at Yoshi's Oakand, having seen Earl Klugh and David Sanborn here last November. Yoshi's does bring the best of the best in contemporary jazz to Oakland and San Francisco and I'll keep coming up for Fresno for this reason, thus the "Excellent" rating. However, this was my first time having dinner at the restaurant before the show. I had made reservations for 8:00 p.m. and arrived there just before that time and was seated right away. We were even asked if we'd like a window table for the view and of course, we did. We ordered the brussels sprouts appetizer, which were good and the miso soup as a stater before the entree. The miso was very flavorful. For the entrees, I had the pork chop with fingerling potatoes and veggies and my daughter had the lobster tail with kale and it was suggested by the server that she might want to order a starch to help round out her meal as her portions might not be enough. She ordered a side of brown rice and shared it with me. The food tasted okay-- it wasn't bad nor was it something to rave about. I was surprised that both entrees were the same price. I've never known a pork chop to cost the same as a lobster tail and for the price, I expected my pork chop to be something spectacular and it wasn't. But the restaurant was an experience to try at least once. The service was great I might add.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Pacifica, California
“Good Food, Nice Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We ate here before the show. We had the spicy, crunchy Hamachi roll, excellent! The rainbow roll was good. I had the pomegranate martini and my husband had the pineapple rum specialty drink, both were great. My husbands lobster tail was OK - the portion was a bit small and it was a little chewy. The toffee cake was awesome. The waitress was attentive and friendly and everything was served promptly. Yoshi's determines where you sit to view the show on a first come first serve basis. Your waitress brings you your seating info as you are eating dinner. They also validate parking (10% off). Our seating was OK (not a bad seat in the house) and our dinner reservations were an hour before the show.

• 3 of 5 stars