“Best Breakfast in Old Oakland”
Review of Caffe 817

Caffe 817
Ranked #28 of 1,295 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed in downtown Oakland for two weeks and enjoyed breakfasts at Cafe 817. Excellent eggs, toast, sausage, etc. and
the coffee is dark and delicious. Nice sidewalk seating on a sunny day.

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I only tried the coffee but the food looks great. I had an espresso and a cappuccino. The cap is a traditional size and the shots are pulled nice and full of dark and sweet Crema. The espresso is a decent shot with good bite and depth. The foam of the cap could use some work and the milk was steamed to hot. I would come back.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

As ex Food and Beverage Director, Restaurant GM and restaurant/cafe owner (in London, UK and US) myself,I am very, very hard to please. Been to this cafe many times, yesterday was my last visit, one of over 20 so far.

Eggs were perfect and they gave me a very healthy portion of avocado and veggies. Coffee not my favorite, only down side. Couple that owns this cafe are both trained chefs in one of the best places in San Fran and at least one of them is always in the kitchen.

"Service with a smile" should be their tagline here, because that's how they really operated.
Overall, I find this place extremely charming and well presented. The staff was extremely welcoming and friendly and feel there items are of a good quality at decent price. I should have written this review year ago but just came around to spend some time on TripAdvisor so here it is!

I shall return, of course : )

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Friendly service, imaginative presentation, reasonable prices and high standards in healthy food preparation.

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Cafe 817, in Old Oakland's historic district, offers great espresso drinks and terrific breakfasts. Try the poached eggs with homemade jam and tapenade--delicious. Then explore the neighborhood where you'll find lots of small shops and poo-up boutiques.