“My mouth starts watering when I think about this place!”
Review of Cafe Colucci

Cafe Colucci
Ranked #176 of 1,265 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American, African, Ethiopian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Redlands, California
“My mouth starts watering when I think about this place!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Ever since my niece went to Berkeley in mid-2000, we've been making pilgrimages to this humble spot that serves as a veneer for the flavor bombs that wait inside! Even though my husband is a carnivoire, he goes with the veggie sampler (be sure to add the mushroom tibs). Okay, it's true, Ethiopian food is my favorite--I'm writing this review after having had breakfast and my mouth is still watering over the array of food that arrives on the large platter, along with a basket of Injera (a spongy, tangy bread that replaces cutlery for this feast), that is used for bite-size scoops of a wide-array of uniqely Ethiopian curries, vegetables, and dips. One veggie sampler is enough for three. The special ice tea is delightful, unlike anything you find anywhere outside an ethiopiean restauarant. Service is friendly and good. Try it! You'll like it!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SaladAlexander

Oakland, California
“My favorite Ethiopian restaurant!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Cafe Colucci has the best vegetarian Ethiopian food I have ever had. You MUST try the eggplant tibs and the Mitten Shoro (as the menu reads "you will be hooked for life"). The meat dishes are also quite good, and the Ethiopian beer (both dark and light) is a treat. My only complaints are that sometimes there is a bit of a wait, and - once in a while - the service is a little casual (i.e. slow). But servers are always very friendly and the food is soooo worth it.

• Visited February 2013
California
“Yum!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I always eat at Cafe Colucci everytime I visit the East Bay. It is a fun experience where you get to eat with your fingers and enjoy the authentic flavors of Ethiopia. The food is amazing!

• Visited March 2012
Durbanville, South Africa
“Tasty Treat in Oakland”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We got a meat sampler and a veggie sampler. Wow. Lots of food, fantastic flavors, cool vibe. Definitely would return.

Visited May 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Great food and smiles all around!”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I found this place to be very good and truly a pleasure to visit. Warm atmosphere and accommodating servers. I will say that sitting by the bathroom does give you a precarious odor, but it was actually that of the air fresheners that surround the restroom and not odors of peoples "Gifts" to the restroom. As I entered the restroom it actually smelled clean and fresh during an extremely busy Thursday night.

I did find the dishes of meat entree's to be quite small. I also felt the dishes were quite over seasoned and i ended up drinking quite a bit over water and had a bit of "Seasoning Overload". Please note that I am not sensitive to spices and I eat ethnic cuisine 75% of the time that is seasoned intensely and spicy. I liked this restaurant but would like to try it again before giving it perfect scores. I think they definitely deserve repeat business.

The three of us spent a bit over $70 before gratuity and I fly it was a pretty good value as we basically ordered 5 different meals. The Ethiopian tea was good and authentic with the addition of cloves to the hot water. They used authentic everything and I appreciated that to the smallest detail they did their best to present a real Ethiopian atmosphere.

I recommend this restaurant and I look forward to trying it again soon!

• Visited January 2012