“Great food and smiles all around!”
Review of Cafe Colucci

Cafe Colucci
Ranked #143 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American, African, Ethiopian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I found this place to be very good and truly a pleasure to visit. Warm atmosphere and accommodating servers. I will say that sitting by the bathroom does give you a precarious odor, but it was actually that of the air fresheners that surround the restroom and not odors of peoples "Gifts" to the restroom. As I entered the restroom it actually smelled clean and fresh during an extremely busy Thursday night.

I did find the dishes of meat entree's to be quite small. I also felt the dishes were quite over seasoned and i ended up drinking quite a bit over water and had a bit of "Seasoning Overload". Please note that I am not sensitive to spices and I eat ethnic cuisine 75% of the time that is seasoned intensely and spicy. I liked this restaurant but would like to try it again before giving it perfect scores. I think they definitely deserve repeat business.

The three of us spent a bit over $70 before gratuity and I fly it was a pretty good value as we basically ordered 5 different meals. The Ethiopian tea was good and authentic with the addition of cloves to the hot water. They used authentic everything and I appreciated that to the smallest detail they did their best to present a real Ethiopian atmosphere.

I recommend this restaurant and I look forward to trying it again soon!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

Two colleagues and I went to Cafe Colucci for a late dinner. It was my first experience with Ethiopian food; one of my colleagues is a regular at the cafe. The place was packed with a young to middle-aged crowd, and was very lively, but the noise level was not too loud for conversation.
We ordered a platter to share of a variety of dishes (I don't remember the Ethiopian names) including lamb, a variety of lentils, salad, etc.
From their website: The essence of Ethiopian cooking lies in the spices that vary from the fiery potent to the most delicate. Exotic spices and fresh herbs are cleverly combined to create the favors that make food a delight in Ethiopia. Even more remarkable is the whole procession of vegetarian vegan specialties, both familiar and unique. (www.cafecolucci.com)
There are no utensils or plates - you eat with your fingers and pick up the food in "teff Injera," a tortilla-like spongy bread made with teff, the smallest grain known, and an Ethiopian staple. Everything was spiced perfectly an the combination of the ambiance and the food made for a lively conversation. Highly recommended for those who are a bit adventurous.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Eating food with your hands is a unique experience by itself, and when the food happens to be delicious, exotic and tasty, it just makes it better. Nothing was extremely spicy so we didn't have trouble trying out the meat and vegetarian samplers. Very good food, quaint, perfect size, good service, just great!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

What can I say but when I'm down and lonely and need a helping hand, I got a friend in Cafe Colucci. I cannot ever get enough of their veggie sambusas, eggplant tibs, and veggie combo along with a flaxseed drink. Their njera is the best this side of Addis. yes!

Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is one Ethiopian Restaurant, we have settled for.

Food is within a consistent range; for it just celebrated it's 20th anniversary. And what a party it was.

Vegetarian and Meat dishes are pleasure to eat with their " Injera ".

Service sketchy were very friendly. Since, we have been going there for more than 10 years, tend to overlook the few mishaps.

Overall, the best place to try African cuisine.