“What a Wonderful Find!”

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We tried Phnom Penh House at the recommendation of some friends. They had seen the restaurant featured on the PBS show, "Check Please Bay Area." This small, family owned Cambodian restaurant is a treat. Owned and operated by one large family, the service is warm and hospitable and cohesive. The night we dined there we noticed Grandma at the big table, seated next to two of the grandchildren, who were busy doing homework and eating noodles while their parents cooked and managed the restaurant. This establishment has a relaxed, warm feeling to it that makes it feel like you are dining in someone's home kitchen. You are!

The service was friendly and efficient. The food came out in fits and starts, but I suppose that is because it is a small kitchen and they have such a large menu. Really, you could eat here twenty times and barely make a dent in the menu. Prices are VERY good. We began our meal with a very fresh and tasty shredded vegetable salad, filled with mint and basil and chills. It was refreshing and a perfect beginning to the meal. For our mains, we ordered a delicious chicken and green bean dish, which was tender and cooked to perfection. The Lemongrass Beef was also quite good. Finally, we ordered a curried tofu and veg dish. This we also enjoyed, but it did not have the freshness of the two other mains. We finished the meal with an order of the Banana Fritters, which are just about the best Banana Fritters we have ever eaten. Delish!

I would not hesitate to go to this restaurant again. I'd like to try some of their fried specialties. We are not big fried food people, but I hear this is a MUST at this restaurant. Also, I would love to try some of the other dishes that intrigued us. If you are in downtown Oakland and eager for some ethnic food, I highly recommend you give this place a try.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I had a fish dish & my sister had a ground pork dish. Both were well prepared, and the serving size was large. The wait staff was constantly on the move and also hailing waiting customers to come sit as soon as a table was cleared. A great find on the edge of Oakland's China Town.
Many people looked at the menu in the window and walked away, apparently because they saw people waiting in the tiny space next to the door. The restaurant is small and every square inch is used, so expanding the waiting zone would inevitably take away a couple of tables.
Worth more visits!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This once-charming district has fallen to hard time and few quality restaurants still exist. Two reasons still make one come back to this area - Laurel Books (a great independent book store) and Phnom Penh. This restaurant provides excellent food at very reasonable prices. Even the plating is attractive. This place could stand up to restaurants in other, more prosperous neighborhoods such as Montclair.

The three of us shared 3 items and steamed rice and were delighted with our choices. The prices are so reasonable we understood why there weren't more generous portions of the various proteins, but this is also customary with Asian restaurants. The balance is more even between veg and protein. The tastes were great - this place is Cambodian and that cuisine borrow a bit from Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and others. You will have a sense of recognition, while also experiencing new flavors. The spring rolls were light and crisp, not oily. The main dishes have a number of different sauces, which really delight the palate.

1  Thank Denise K
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I found ourselves close to Oakland's Chinatown so we decided to eat dinner. In the outskirts of all the Chinese restaurants is Phnom Penh House, a Cambodian restaurant. As of this year this restaurant has been here for 26 years and is family run.

Cambodian food is new to me so I ordered based on TA reviewer comments. Dinner was delicious! We ordered that shredded eggplant with ground pork and shrim (Traop Ang), the Moarn Ang Kreun a charbroiled boneless chicken thighs, and Cha Kathiw which is a Pad Thai like rice noodle dish. We finished with a tasty Chhet Chean which is a deep fried banana with vanilla ice cream.

The dishes are very rich and I was surprised we took half home for tomorrow's lunch. We certainly will be back to try more if their attractive, tasty dishes.

1  Thank charmking
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very good food. Service was okay by the waiter and hostess, but not the young gal that slipped the food on the table (anywhere) without a word and moved on. I don't think it was intentional, but was a bit uncomfortable and surprising. I had the Amok! Wonderfully fresh and tasty. I would have liked to have received it in a leaf after it had been steamed. My husband had the Noodles with bbq pork. Also very tasty. We had a light bean sprouts/cabbage salad which was just "okay". Prices were very reasonable and we were able to take food home for another meal. I am going back there for sure and taking my friends with me!