“My first Cambodian food experience is a thumbs up!”
Review of Phnom Penh House

Phnom Penh House
Ranked #123 of 1,277 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Northern California
“My first Cambodian food experience is a thumbs up!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I found ourselves close to Oakland's Chinatown so we decided to eat dinner. In the outskirts of all the Chinese restaurants is Phnom Penh House, a Cambodian restaurant. As of this year this restaurant has been here for 26 years and is family run.

Cambodian food is new to me so I ordered based on TA reviewer comments. Dinner was delicious! We ordered that shredded eggplant with ground pork and shrim (Traop Ang), the Moarn Ang Kreun a charbroiled boneless chicken thighs, and Cha Kathiw which is a Pad Thai like rice noodle dish. We finished with a tasty Chhet Chean which is a deep fried banana with vanilla ice cream.

The dishes are very rich and I was surprised we took half home for tomorrow's lunch. We certainly will be back to try more if their attractive, tasty dishes.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank charmking

Oakland, California
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very good food. Service was okay by the waiter and hostess, but not the young gal that slipped the food on the table (anywhere) without a word and moved on. I don't think it was intentional, but was a bit uncomfortable and surprising. I had the Amok! Wonderfully fresh and tasty. I would have liked to have received it in a leaf after it had been steamed. My husband had the Noodles with bbq pork. Also very tasty. We had a light bean sprouts/cabbage salad which was just "okay". Prices were very reasonable and we were able to take food home for another meal. I am going back there for sure and taking my friends with me!

• Visited July 2013
West Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Wow!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

After finding this place I went back twice on the same trip. Some of the best food period and a wonderful wait staff, Within walking distance of the downtown Marriott and the Trappist. It will be a regular stop.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dad113056
Oakland, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistant Favorite”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is our regular spot for Cambodian. Friendly service, excellent food, best fried bananas we've found so far! I love the SAMLOR KATIS soup w/ pineapple & young coconut meat. Perfect comfort food.

Visited December 2012
Oakland, California
“Reliable but too toned down for the less adventurous”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I love South East Asian cuisine... the bright flavors, fresh ingredients, rich coconut curries - all of it. It's great to have a Cambodian restaurant in the neighborhood, and their chicken soup with lemongrass, lime juice and fresh mint is clean and refreshing. However, you really have to push them to put the heat back into dishes that should have a good spicy kick. Some of the dishes have been too dumbed down for bland, less adventurous diners, and that's a shame.

Visited December 2012