“Consistant Favorite”

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is our regular spot for Cambodian. Friendly service, excellent food, best fried bananas we've found so far! I love the SAMLOR KATIS soup w/ pineapple & young coconut meat. Perfect comfort food.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I love South East Asian cuisine... the bright flavors, fresh ingredients, rich coconut curries - all of it. It's great to have a Cambodian restaurant in the neighborhood, and their chicken soup with lemongrass, lime juice and fresh mint is clean and refreshing. However, you really have to push them to put the heat back into dishes that should have a good spicy kick. Some of the dishes have been too dumbed down for bland, less adventurous diners, and that's a shame.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I LOVE Phnom Penh! They have two locations in Oakland, and this review is for the one on 3912 MacArthur Blvd., in the Laurel District. My wife and I have eaten here many times and it's consistently good. It's a family run, Cambodian restaurant, and the owner always welcomes me by name. We love the poached salmon with roasted garlic, basil, and black mushrooms. Have the Cha Kathiw their version of pad thai. We also like the charbroiled pork with lemongrass and house
sauce. Prices are very reasonable, you'll keep coming back...

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Came here with a group of friends getting ready for Springsteen at the Oracle Arena. I think we made it a louder place than it usually must be.

The menu list is staggering - categories organized into three-digit numbers for each dish. Lots of curries, mint and pineapple choices. The service was attentive and efficient - which was nice when we were already late for the scheduled start of the show (we made it). I would go again in a heartbeat if, 1. I found myself in downtown Oakland, and 2. I had a larger group to share the menu with!

3  Thank umbrellaman
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The first time that I ever went there was in 1993, and I never miss a chance to eat there whenever I am in Oakland (which fortunately is several times a year). The family who runs it is tremendously nice. Even though I live in the Philly area, whenever I walk into Phnom Penh House, I feel like I'm one of the regulars. The owners know my colleague and I so well that they even remember our favorite dishes after a few months absence. Speaking of which, the food is simply delicious. The pan-fried noodles with chili sauce (Cha Kathiw) are to die for; the eggplant stuffed with pork (Traop Ang) is a wonderful blend of sweet and savory flavors; and last but not least, the charbroiled chicken (Moarn Ang Kreun) is magnificent! My colleague always insists on getting these three dishes to share, and I never complain, although when I've gone there alone, I always try something new -- stuffed chicken wings (Slaap Moarn Borg) were excellent!

The original on 8th Street is on the edge of Chinatown in a sketchy neighborhood, but I've gone there many times for lunch and dinner and have even walked from the Convention Center at night without incident (Disclosure: I'm a 6-foot, 190 lb. man). They also have a relatively new location in Alameda that is a bit nicer in decor, but has the same menu. I can't vouch whether it is authentic, but I love this place! The prices are right, too! My three favorite dishes (mentioned above) are plenty enough to feed two adults for dinner, and all for less than $30 (not including tip, or beverages). Hands down, one of my favorite restaurants in the U.S.

1  Thank George P