WINNER WONDERLAND

Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Pennsauken, New Jersey
“Best Little Restaurant in Oakland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The first time that I ever went there was in 1993, and I never miss a chance to eat there whenever I am in Oakland (which fortunately is several times a year). The family who runs it is tremendously nice. Even though I live in the Philly area, whenever I walk into Phnom Penh House, I feel like I'm one of the regulars. The owners know my colleague and I so well that they even remember our favorite dishes after a few months absence. Speaking of which, the food is simply delicious. The pan-fried noodles with chili sauce (Cha Kathiw) are to die for; the eggplant stuffed with pork (Traop Ang) is a wonderful blend of sweet and savory flavors; and last but not least, the charbroiled chicken (Moarn Ang Kreun) is magnificent! My colleague always insists on getting these three dishes to share, and I never complain, although when I've gone there alone, I always try something new -- stuffed chicken wings (Slaap Moarn Borg) were excellent!

The original on 8th Street is on the edge of Chinatown in a sketchy neighborhood, but I've gone there many times for lunch and dinner and have even walked from the Convention Center at night without incident (Disclosure: I'm a 6-foot, 190 lb. man). They also have a relatively new location in Alameda that is a bit nicer in decor, but has the same menu. I can't vouch whether it is authentic, but I love this place! The prices are right, too! My three favorite dishes (mentioned above) are plenty enough to feed two adults for dinner, and all for less than $30 (not including tip, or beverages). Hands down, one of my favorite restaurants in the U.S.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank George P

Oakland, California
“My favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a good time at this restaurant ,.... everything are perfect ..me and my friends always think about sour soup at that restaurant when we have free time..

• Visited September 2012
Oakland CA
“Our All-Time Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you come to Oakland, you have to fit in a visit to Phnom Penh. We've been coming here for easily 20 years and the food is consistently wonderful. We've taken all of our friends here at one time or another and they all agree. We don't know the Cambodian names for the food or the numbers on the menu, but we ask for "noodle prawn," "beef on a stick," "barbecued chicken" and "red snapper." Or just ask for what John and Virginia always order.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Berkeley
“One of those great family restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

We have eaten at this family run Cambodian restaurant for many years. We've watch the staff get married and watched the children grow. We'll miss a few months and come back and we're greeted like we ate here 3 times last week.
The staff is great and service very attentive. Cambodian food is not the same as Thai or South China. Different spices and combinations.
Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2012
WI
“Phnom Penh still wonderful after so many years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

Phnom Penh House is a consistently wonderful restaurant in Oakland California. The Chicken soup broth is simply lovely and the seafood combination, sauteed with baby corn and gravy are the essence of great comfort food. The fried bananas are a delicious way to end your meal. Don't miss this simple but wonderful restaurant.

• Visited July 2011