“Good Dinner, but I miss the old Garibaldi's/Hudson”
Review of A16 Rockridge

A16 Rockridge
Reserve with OpenTable
A16 Rockridge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 1,265 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Manila and Bryant
Transit: Rockridge BART
Oakland, California, United States
“Good Dinner, but I miss the old Garibaldi's/Hudson”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Had dinner here the other evening with my boyfriend. The waitstaff was probably the absolute best part about our dining experience. The host, server and busser were all very friendly, prompt, and helpful.

Nothing on the menu really stood out to us, so we just decided to order two appetizers and share a pizza. We ordered the ahi tuna carpaccio and the burrata. Both were actually incredibly tasty! We ordered a marinara pizza and added proscuitto and egg. The crust was amazing, flavors were good...but no cheese on the pizza. I guess it didn't mention any cheese on the ingredients, but I thought it's because it's just a given that there was cheese...I guess not...So...taste was there, but it wasn't really my kind of pizza.

cocktails were great...I had the pepe, which had a great bite!

Overall, good experience. Garibaldi's/Hudson used to be my top 3 favorite restaurants in Oakland...I'd say A16 might make my top 15.

• Visited July 2014

Houston, Texas
“Nice experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is a new location in Oakland. We visited with out kids who live in the area. The decor was lovely. Some of the food was spicy so I needed to be careful when I ordered. The waitress was good but was waiting on too many tables. We had to wait about 15 minutes for acknowledgement. We had our 4 yer old grand son with us and asked first thing for her to bring out a pizza for him prior to anything else. His pizza arrived AFTER all of the other food we ordered. The food was beautifully served and very tasty and the wine list was good.

• Visited July 2014
Rosemary Beach, Florida
“Authentic Italian hits the mark”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We happened to be in Berkeley and heard A16 opened a second location on College Avenue. A very different vibe from the dark hip A16 in SF. This location has a great chef's bar, felt more open & bright yet had it's own unique bustling vibe for a Monday night. We arrived right at prime time without a reservation, and it appeared the server and bar staff received an unexpected crowd, so we were patient on a few delays and entertained by the Pizza Chef who crafted each pizza in front of our seating. We started with Anchovy and Friarelli Peppers that were crisp and fantastic. Roasted Calamari that had a green salsa verde sauce that was super flavorful. And while we did not intend to order any pizzas, we had to after watching the chef for an hour. The pizzas are perfect, wood-fired for about 1.5 minutes with classic ingredients and flavors that you won't find at most pizza places. The sides all looked amazing, our favorite was the farro and braised greens. The bar and wine selection is excellent. We always ask for wine by the glass recommendations here because the Italian wine list is extensive by the glass. I love the 3oz pours that allow you to move throughout the menu. And dessert, save room, the dark chocolate torte was laced with rosemary sea salt and a honeycomb like candy that was the perfect bite. Delicious. Gracious staff, definitely needed another bartender this evening. Good guest management, worth a stop on your itinerary and I recommend sitting at the chef's bar if you are with a small group.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank travelingcowgirl_FL
Oakland, California
“Decidedly Mixed”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Our birthday dinner high hopes were dashed by the very mixed quality of the dishes, some of which arrived lukewarm. Service was gracious, however, and they tried to make amends for the cool food with comped deserts (unfortunately, we didn't want desert and they didn't ask, just brought it).
The green salad, pizza and lamb sausage pasta were excellent, though the pizza was one of the dishes that was not hot and had to go back. The calamari appetizer was outstanding, but the steak, that day's special dish, was chewy and rather plain, and also had to go back for reheating. Having to reheat multiple dishes seemed to throw the service timing off, as well, as there was a long break between entrees and salad (which we had requested after the entree).
Everyone has a bad night, but this was Saturday and that added to both our expectations and subsequent disappointment.
The wine list is extensive, with an excellent Italian selection. It's pricey, but there are decent choices in the lower ranges. I'm told the cocktails were terrific.
All in all, A-16 in Oakland hasn't matched its San Francisco location yet.

Visited May 2014
oakland
“Definitely worth returning to.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Good modern American food -- i.e. eclectic menu choices, innovative. It is crowded and a bit noisy, but not so noisy you can't hear each other. Kohlrabi salad excellent. Hangar steak perfectly prepared and great seasoning. Fried calamari (very large portion) served very hot and nicely seasoned though my favorite calamari is at Marica down the block. Wine prices a little high and corkage is $25, which is high for Oakland -- but if you buy a bottle they waive it - so we bought a $32 Aglianico which was okay. Large wine list almost entirely Italian. Portions large. We had a good waiter - Lucas. Will definitely return, could become one of a few favorite restaurants in East Bay. Prices - salad was $11 I think, pork chop $28, forget others. I am loath to rate a restaurant excellent after only one visit, but I think it might be.

Visited March 2014