“recent stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ukiah, California
“recent stay”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Excellent staff. Close to freeway access and Jack London Square, Ferry and Bart Station. We did not hear any freeway noise at all from our room which was located on the end of the building. Beautiful bay views if available and requested upon reservation. Quick check in.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wilmington, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This Best Western was a nice surprise. We drove over to Oakland because it was too expensive to stay in San Francisco for the weekend. The BW was beautiful. We used the back patio in the evening with a view of the marina. We went next door to Executive Inn for a delicious dinner at an excellent price. Highly recommend this hotel. Twenty minutes from San Fran. One hour drive to Sonoma Valley.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Christine,

We are very exciting that you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to write about it. We couldn't have written a better review ourselves; affordable, amenities, location within driving distance to attractions and our sister property the Executive Inn & Suites. Nice Job.

We hope that we can be of service to you again as your travelers bring you to the Bay Area.

Eilat, Israel
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I've been coming here for many years and after the rebranding as BW Plus last year I wrote a 5-star review. But i was pretty disappointed in my most recent visit and I think management needs a little bit of a wake-up call.

The furniture in my suite was no longer comfortable. For years I've looked forward to relaxing in the great rooms at this property - but the sofa and comfy chairs that I had in my most recent visit felt old. The cushions were really in need of replacing and it just wasn't comfortable anymore when I sank in too much wherever I sat and had no solid support. The air conditioner was way too noisy and I was thankful when the weather cooled off after a day and I didn't need the AC much. It needed to be cleaned, maintained or replaced.

The service also wasn't what it used to be, like being stingy with shower supplies.

One night a boisterous, drunk group ws making a lot of noise off the lobby, continuously from about 1am to 1:30am. I was on the 2nd floor near the big open stairs that come up from the lobby and it was a ridiculous amount of noise. The front desk person did nothing about this and let it go on until the drunkards went into their rooms (and outside onto their patios to make more noise). What was the front desk person thinking? That it's great to have a noisy party in the lobby in the middle of the night when nearly half the rooms in the hotel are off the lobby on the 1st and 2nd floors?

With the price of staying here going up every year, management needs to do something about restoring the level comfort and and service to what it was when it cost $140 and not $200/night (not that many years ago).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Binyamin8
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Binyamin8

We appreciate your comments and will definately look into your concerns. We take both good and bad comments very seriously.

We want to return to your 5 star review we had only 12 short months ago.
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My most recent stay at this hotel has been the best in many years. I have stayed here many times in the last 17 years. This last visit I was the first to stay in one of the newly remodeled rooms. Outstanding.... from room layout, to decor it was fantastic. The water view from the balcony is so relaxing. The absolute best part is the friendly staff. The shuttle service is one of the best I have ever seen for commuting guests to the airport or to surrounding areas and pick you back up. The bar tender Howie is unbelievable. He cooks steaks and fish on the grill and tends bar at the same time. Talk about hustle, he is non stop. Don't expect him to wait on your table. You go to the bar to order your food and drinks, but rest assured, Howie will take good care of you. I will go out of my way just to stay there and have dinner. Even on the first visit, you are treated like family. Oh yeah, complimentary breakfast too. This is the best choice when you are in the Oakland area.
Tell Howie Davo sent you.

Room Tip: Get a view from the water side, beautiful and tranquil.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
David,
Great review and thank you. Just to clarify to our travelers, I believe that David is talking about the sister property to the Bayside Hotel, the Executive Inn & Suites. The two properties are side by side along the banks of the Embarcadero.

David is spot on when talking about the renovation that is taking place at the EIS. After an extensive design and refinement phase we are transforming the property to a tranquil 'Home away from Home'

Now either property will be the perfect answer to three days of business or that week long family vacation to the Bay Area.

Again David, thank you for the kind words
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for business in mid May. The room was large and spacious with a wonderful view of the bay. The bed was comfortable and I had the bathroom with a large tub! There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. I noticed a slight odor each time I returned to the room. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The free shuttle service was very convenient. If you want to use this service, just make sure you schedule it with the front desk ahead of time to make sure they are available. I had no problems with it at all, but other people may not have scheduled properly and had some difficulty. I prefer to stay in San Francisco when I visit the Bay Area, but if I come back to Oakland, this is a great and comfortable option.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank groovywilma
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Excellent rooms - spacious, clean with balcony and Bay view. The complimentary breakfast - fresh, plentiful and more than adequate to start the day. The courtesy car service really excellent and friendly service will drop off or pick up in a 3 mile or so radius any time of day. A short hop via the BART railway to San Francisco - roughly 15 minutes - 35 minutes by ferry from Jack London Square to Fisherman's Wharf - Ideal location to see all the bayside attractions yet avoid the bustle of the city in the hotel. Oakland also has a lot to offer if you take the time to explore.

Room Tip: I'd opt for top floor to avoid early risers making noise on the floor above.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rcunningham299
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Ritchie,

Thank you for your great comments and I think you nailed it. Oakland has a lot to offer if you take the time to explore.

It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our Free amenities and particularly our shuttle service. While it does get busy during the summer season, advance planning and signing up on the shuttle log will get you to where you want to go.

Make sure to tell everyone back home to all about Oakland.

PS. Enjoy Retirement, I'm Jealous
Carson City, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Nice hotel. I just am amazed at the cost ($200.00 a night), but they were less than others. The Bay Area loves socialism, yet want the benefits of free market capaitalism. I just no longer wish to give them the benefit of my money earned through freedom to a place that takes freedom at every turn and pushes socialism on all there.

Dear Mike

I hear what you’re saying and empathize with your position.

We’re doing the best we can to deliver value at the same time as providing some of the nicer amenities available in the hospitality industry.