“Customer service and lovely attention to detail”

Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

There are a lot of pitfalls to choosing an Oakland hotel, but this one leaves nothing to chance. There are two sides to this hotel--the first, its convenient location right off the 880 freeway. When you walk inside, however, that side is forgotten. I was greeted by the famous Cameron, who has been mentioned in numerous posts. The lobby is lovely and spacious, with 24-hour coffee service and a good (and free!) breakfast, with waffles, eggs, fresh pastry, yogurt, fresh fruit, toast. Rooms are spotless and really, really big! 700 sq feet!! All of the rooms overlook the estuary, and mine had a balcony. The fitness center was well-equipped and also very clean, with a big flat-screen TV. Really, this is an economical choice for the business traveler, but for tourists there is also the convenience of the shuttle, which takes you to the BART for further exploring and to Jack London Square, an Oakland landmark. I was visiting family in the Oakland Hills, and the hotel was a short drive from there. I will be back! Many thanks to the helpful and welcoming staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors for a great view of the estuary and its water birds!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I changed hotels while on a business trip to the Bay Area so I could catch an early flight out. Well, I was extremely surprised and pleased by the quality of this hotel. It sits on the water across from the Coast Guard Island and Alameda. The staff is extreme courteous and professional. I was blown away by the lobby as I entered. The room was nicely appointed and upper scale as far as the king size bed and luxurious bathroom. The bathroom had a separate bath and shower and even had a separate room with a phone for the toilet! I plan to book this hotel the next time I travel to Oakland, CA, on business!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was the final Best Western Plus on our family vacation.
We walked on the Golden Gate Bridge and I got vertigo and felt queasy so instead of driving all night, we decided to look for a Best Western Plus in the area.
We ended up at one of the nicest Hotels I've ever been in.
First of all, Cameron was the greatest. They didn't have one big room, so he helped us out by getting two rooms so we didn't have to drive anymore.
The rooms were great.
The pool and spa were amazing.
The view was amazing.
The breakfast and coffee niche are amazing.
We will stay there again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Phenomenal service. The people were extremely nice and helpful with any questions I had and were always available. The only flaw was that they were busy enough to possibly need two front desk clerks during the day.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My family and I enjoyed staying at the hotel. It for the most part fit everything we were looking for in a hotel. The price was fairly reasonable (received a slight discount due to staying 3 nights), rooms were fantastic (my kids loved the huge soaker tub), breakfast was included, and close enough to the bay area to drive if we wanted. One downside is the shuttle drop off is not well ran. You will be better off driving and paying to park at London Square or at the BART station. Guests have to share a shuttle with the sister hotel Executive Inn so seems like it fills up fast.

Check in went smooth. The young lady who greeted us was very friendly and helpful. Our stay was wonderful until the 2nd night when I had the unfortunate experience to have to deal with Simone. She was working the front desk when we returned in the evening, and I asked her for help in arranging a shuttle to the BART in the morning. This is where it started going down hill.

I explained to Simone that we were interested in signing up for a 10 am shuttle to go to the BART station. She informed me that those shuttles only run on the half hour so we would need to go at either 9:30 or 10:30. The on the hour shuttles are strictly used to run to the airport. When I wasn't sure which to take she told me to hold on and she would call her supervisor to see if we could go at 10. She spoke to the evening supervisor who said it wouldn't be a problem to take us at 10 AM. Simone then told me that since her supervisor said it was fine then we were good to go. When she realized someone had already booked the 10 AM for the airport she called back her supervisor to make sure they realized an airport ride was already scheduled and again was told it wouldn't be any problem.

Once that was settled I asked for help in understanding the BART & Ferry system since we have never used either. She gave me a piece of paper that had time schedules on it but was such a bad copy since it was a copy of a copy of a copy I couldn't read or understand any of it. When I asked for clarification, she really seemed annoyed. Then I asked her about what train and stops we would need to use for BART and she said it's easy and we can figure it out at the station. Simone seemed more interested in getting back to using her iPhone which was located next to the right of the keyboard since I could see her eyes darting down to it constantly during our conversation and her swiping to different pages.

The following morning we arrived downstairs 15 minutes early for the shuttle expecting everything to be fine. Come time find out it would quickly turn into a nightmare. We were not allowed to get on a 10 AM shuttle and when I asked Simone (who was working the desk in the morning) what was going on she looked at me like she was clueless. I quickly recapped our conversation from the night before but the blank stare look remained. She then called her supervisor and started telling them that she had a guest who was standing in front of her that was told if no one booked the 10 AM shuttle to the airport we could take it but someone had booked the shuttle that morning and all the shuttles were booked until 1:30. I quickly interjected and said that was not what was discussed the night before. Simone then snapped at me and said that she was telling the supervisor the situation. Unfortunately the situation she told was absolutely opposite of the conversation from the night before.

Mike Webber then came down to talk to us about the situation. He said that Simone had made him aware of what was happening and I proceeded to explain that everything she said was completely a lie made to keep her in the clear. I explained the entire situation to him and told him the true conversation from the night before. I also invited him to call the supervisor who was on duty the night before knowing it would back up my story. I told him had the situation been we could have a shuttle if no one signed up to go to the airport I would have booked a 9:30 or 10:30 spot. I never would rely on no one signing up especially when having to negotiate a trip with 2 children.

Mike then said that he would personally take my family and me to the BART. He took time to explain to write down all the information we would need to know on what train to take to the city and which one to get on to come back. He allowed me to go over it several times with him to make sure I knew what I was doing and if he was getting annoyed by this he never showed it. He told me no problem. We can go over it as many times as you need to. At the station, he parked the shuttle and escorted us down to the substation, showed us how to use the machines and explained to us how to read the BART map.

Mike definitely went up and beyond! Thanks, Mike.

The next morning at breakfast Simone again was working the desk. Every guest she dealt with she seemed to have a very poor attitude. She never smiled and all of her answers were very short like she was annoyed at having to answer the same question for the thousandth time from a different person.

At check-out she told my husband we still had a remaining balance that needed to be paid. He came out and asked me about it. I told him everything should be fine since I left a credit card at check-in. When I went in to ask what the problem was, Simone said that she asked my husband if he wanted to use the credit card on file or some other method. Again, she contradicted what happened to make herself look good and someone else bad. At no time did she ask my husband if she should use the card on file, she just said you still have a balance.

Simone, herself, is enough for me to not want to stay at this hotel again! If she is working the desk at check-in and you have any questions at all, request to speak to the manager!

1  Thank jbusby76
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I was very troubled to hear about your encounters with one of our staff members. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service, and we usually receive wonderful reviews about our front desk staff. However, this time it seems like that high level of service was definately not reached.

We sat down with Symone to discuss the incidents and had a good conversation about it. She apologizes for the lack of service the rude behavior. I truly apologize, on behalf of the hotel, and hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you in the future. This behavior is unacceptable, and does not belong in our hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback on our hotel. Should you wish to give us another try, and we hope you do, please feel free to contact me personally with any questions or concerns. You can reach me at sales@baysidehoteloakland.com.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a good example of how nice Best Westerns can be. Good value for this neck of the woods. I would stay here again if rates stay competitive. Factor in a little extra driving time as there is a little freeway construction going on nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business