“Waterfront view & easy transport to SF”

Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our first trip to San Francisco. Great TA reviews and the attractive rate for retired military convinced us to book here for our 4-day stay. And the reviewers were right! We were so pleased with the entire experience, and had a relaxing stay after long, busy days in the city.

The lobby is elegant and our 2nd-floor corner room with balcony overlooking the Estuary was beautifully appointed, immaculate, and very quiet. The size and decor of our room were outstanding, and everything was extremely clean. We appreciated the upscale touches such as blue glass mugs and coffee/tea selections in the room, as well as robes and slippers in the closet.

Cameron was working the front desk when we checked in, and then again a few days later. He welcomed us and explained the free shuttle to Jack London Square, and gave us the ferry schedule. We told him our plans and when we needed to be at Fisherman's Wharf for various reservations, and he helped us reserve places on the hotel's shuttle for the best ferry departures. A few evenings later he was working again when we came in from our day's adventures, and he asked how our Alcatraz tour and Segway adventure had gone. Cameron is an asset to this hotel.

We did take the hotel shuttle to and from the ferry two days, but on the third day we decided to leave at a time when the shuttle was already booked, so we drove the 2 miles to Jack London Square and parked in the garage. Take the ticket with you to the ferry, where you can validate it for 12 hours of free parking. Turns out that when we came back that evening, 20 other guests had called for the shuttle at that same time, so we would have waited a long time to get back to the hotel if we had not taken our own car.

Highly recommend this hotel, and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Waterfront room on left side is quiet and away from freeway noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gigi135

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this Best Western. I was very impressed. The hotel is clean and well maintained. There is free coffee in the lobby. There is a free breakfast in the morning. The internet connection is free, fast, and consistent.

The rooms are large. Many have balconies with chairs. There is a sidewalk and pier right on the water.

For those that don't have cars, they offer a free shuttle to BART, Amtrak, and the Oakland airport.

It is a safe area of Oakland.

I will stay here again when I come to Oakland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water. Good view and less freeway noise.
1  Thank petest50
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My grandson and I stayed here for one night and loved it. It is certainly nicer than any other Best Western I have stayed in. I had reserved a double queen (or double?) room on the bayside but when we were not satisfied with that room we were quickly moved to another room which met our needs. (Although my grandson had to sleep on a rollaway because there were no other double bed rooms on the bayside available.) We were on the second floor close to the stairs but we never heard any exterior noise. We had a lovely view of the water with no freeway noise (the reason we requested the move to another room). The room was updated and the bathroom was amazing. We used the pool because it was a beautiful day in Oakland...the pool was nice but a little over chlorinated and the jets weren't working in the jacuzzi. We ate dinner at Quinn's, possibly the only restaurant within walking distance. Lovely view with average food. Service was a little slow.Loved our breakfast in the gorgeous breakfast room...nice variety of food. My daughter and son-in-law who live in Oakland visited us and hope to take a staycation at this "resort" one day soon. Now, if we can only get the city of Oakland to extend that bayside walkway so we can walk to Jack London Square in comfort!!!!

Room Tip: Get a bayside room but not one on the rear right of the hotel (you will be on the bay but you will s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My partner and I decided to stay in Oakland for our little get-away trip to the Bay area & San Francisco. This was our first time staying at this particular BW and it won't be our last!! The property is beautiful and the rooms "are the largest sq. ft. hotel rooms in Oakland", as the front desk guy said. Cameron, I believe was his name, was quite hospitable! We were glad to have a positive front desk c/i experience and it was nice to hear some facts about the hotel & area. Oh, and a lovely breakfast area with views of the estuary. Balconies in the rooms are quite nice as well!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here two weeks back to back for work in Downtown Oakland. Everyone I interacted with at this property emphasized great customer service. Literally everyone (Cameron, Simone, Jessika, Channelle/Jules :-) , Allejandra, Doris) had lots of smiles as they made every attempt to accommodate every request. The rooms are spacious, well appointed, and quiet. Housekeeping kept everything immaculate, and I never had to navigate one housekeeping cart in the hallways. It appears to me that everyone at this property has bought into the system and makes every attempt to implement it. They just get it.

This property is not in the downtown area, but the shuttle is a great service that compliments the BART train, so I didn't need a car during my stay. This a relief given the inconvenience and high cost of parking in the city. Just make sure to reserve the shuttle for each day as the staff is constantly juggling the schedule to accommodate everyone. Doris was the morning shuttle driver during my stay, and she was so so pleasant, and went out of her way to accommodate everyone. Thanks Doris!

The shuttle will take you to local restaurants. You can order in pizza from the take out menu in the room. I only ordered Round Table, and it was good. I also walked down to Quinn's pub, and found the food decent. They have great drink specials as well, and free baskets of peanuts in the shell. You should also try Howie's $10 steak dinner at the Executive Inn next door to the Best Western Plus (in the same parking lot). They only have a small hotel bar, but on select nights, Howie will cook you a steak to order on the BBQ outside by the waterfront. He serves it with mashed potatoes and a salad. It was a nice little "hidden gem" that I enjoyed while catching the NBA and NHL finals series.

Obviously, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you Steve for sharing your experience with us! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our customer service exceeded your expectations. I will let the team know about your compliments, and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had an unexpected stay in Alameda/Oakland due to unforeseen circumstances. I needed to change the number of nights twice during my stay and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Great rooms

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Rooms an facilities were beautiful and comfortable. The front desk attendant, Cameron is a treasure. He was well informed and gracious!

The rooms overlooked the bay, which was nice, but neighborhood is a bit sketchy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Swingdancer25
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and to compliment one of our team members. I will certainly let him know you mentioned him in your review.

Unfortunately we don't have many restaurants or shops right next to the hotel, and since we are close to the freeway, it might seem like a worse neighborhood than it is. But I hope that our beautiful property and waterview location makes up for that.