“Yes excellent!”

Encuentro Cafe and Wine Bar
Ranked #113 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Encuentro helped make our first visit to Oakland a great visit. We stopped in for drinks and appetizers and was happy with the visit. Food, drink and service were great, probably the best humus ever. We will return.

3  Thank Jbhes

Reviewed August 14, 2013

When you encounter Encuentro you will be in for a real treat. For those who speak Spanish, I did that intentionally.

The food is fresh and local and has extraordinary flavor. I went with friends for my birthday (they chose it) and when I got there I remembered, some of the others joining are big carnivores, OMG what do we do now? When they brought out the nut based pate' and my friend liked it better than any old liver pate' I knew I was home free. I had the ratatouille as a main course and he had the portabella mushroom sandwich. The ratatouille was savory (how do they do that ) and was packed in a crisp pastry pocket. The diary cheese tray was wonderful as was the vegan cheese tray. You wouldn't guess it was vegan. The level of flavor and texture makes you think, "This can't be vegetarian and certainly isn't vegan.". But it was and it was GOOD. It was a breezy warm summer night and you could sit outside. It is in the old warehouse now condo area of Jack London Square. It has a hip young crowd and the cook and wait staff are also young and very knowledgeable. It's been open three years and has a faithful following. I recommend reservations. They take them for parties of four.

The kitchen is small and you probably won't get everything out at the same time. I recommend ordering family style and sharing a tasting as each new dish comes out.

This is tThe best vegetarian I've ever had, and I'm not a vegetarian.

9  Thank Anddrew M
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We went to Encuentro due to the persistent insistence of a friend who also isn't vegetarian but now eats there twice a week. The food was sensational. We ordered a bunch of small plates and here were the results: deviled eggs were good, the dates stuffed with macadamia nut paste were absolute heaven (my friend had no interest in the dates till she saw them and then she quickly changed her mind), the olives with orange zest were good, the nectarine salad was really tasty with so many flavoes and textures, the stone fruit bruschetta were delicious, I didn't care for the sucatssh bruschetta but my friend liked them. The walnut lentil spread was deceptively good and filling, and the smoked pecan pate with mushrooms had the most deliciously smoky flavor. I was a little full for the cheesecake troth strawberry compote but my friend happily finished it off. We were a little cold sitting outside, but the service was wonderful. the food superb and frankly I'm considering going back today.

10  Thank MMMSebastopol
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've been to Encuentro I think four times now and hands down it is one of the hidden gems of Oakland dining. Sweet little place tucked away in a cool part of Oakland (it's nice to take a stroll around Jack London Square water before dinner). The food has been consistently tasty, with surprising flavor / ingredient combinations and fantastic specials. The wine selection offers lots of chances for discovery, too. My only wish is that they would be open for lunch also but maybe that will happen down the line. Great place!

11  Thank C_from_Oakland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've been wanting to try Encuentro for a few weeks now and I decided to go on my own Sat night.
The host was welcoming and gave me my options for sitting at the bar or having take out.
I had a delicious Prosecco while waiting for my absolutely wonderfule choices.
I tried a starter ,a salad , and the portabello sandwich... OMG deicious I can't wait to go back. I hope it opens for lunch soon!

12  Thank sansa31