“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
oakland
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Eat here all the time. Had great Asian Rack of Lamb a few days ago, not a regular item, beautifully medium rare, great glaze. Salmon was wonderful as always -- can never go wrong with salmon at this place. Lobster bisque is rich and lobstery. Mussels are a treat, a nice portion and very cheap (think it is $5 for about a dozen). I like the chop salad, and the calamari. Plus they have a great wait staff who are happy to do what they can to make your experience delightful. Problem is that it often is crowded because it is so popular, even on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. They have a fixed price dinner that is typically a choice of salad, a fish entree, and a dessert for $31, $28 if before 630pm. As I always bring my own wine everywhere I eat, I cannot say much about the wine menu. Unfortunately they aren't open late, think 10pm, nor lunch .... but what they do is great.

• Visited December 2012

Denver, Colorado, USA
“Best pick on College (so far..)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

As out-of-towners with many choices for a few good eateries on the famous College Ave, we had the lucky draw of Marica. Fun, eclectic, and vibrant, Marica will wow you with their friendliness and delicious food. A hip, younger crowd and excellent lighting in their funky dining room are great combos for a super-fun date night. Their pours are generous and the sea bass was to die for. Absolutely incredible. My wife had the rock fish and it was all so good that we swapped plates half way through (I never do this). Truly a little gem of a place and very well-run.

• Visited September 2012
Oakland, California
“We had a truly mediocre experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I am surprised by the reviews of Marica. Perhaps we got unlucky, but I will say that our food was mediocre, at best, and the service was inattentive and disinterested.

The starters were the highlights. The lobster bisque was good, and the mussels were tasty, although there were very few for the cost. Perhaps 9-10 mussels. The calamari starter was fair, and the Caesar salad OK. The mussels were brought several minutes after the other starters, without explanation. This would become a theme.

The main courses were unbelievably average. The lamb salad was the best of the four, althought the salad was mostly middle pieces of the lettuce head, rather than the leafy parts, which is not the way to serve a nice salad. The cannelloni was fine, if unremarkable. The salmon and rock cod, however, we're both tasteless. Each came with a pesto sauce on the side that was absolutely without flavor. Only the presence of some avocado on the side of the cod gave this fish any flavor at all. The cod and salmon, of course, came appreciably after the other main courses.

My wife had ordered a tasting menu, which included dessert. The dessert came much later, and the waitress plopped down her dessert with some amazingly tasteless, icy sorbet. The waiters never asked if anybody wanted to order dessert otherwise (having asked my wife her dessert preference when she ordered from the tasting menu.).

The waiters also took some plates before everyone everyone was done (a pet peeve), and removed our silverware after the appetizers without replacement. We ate with salad forks and no knives. No one asked if we wanted other or more drinks.

Then the bill came. It showed a different price for cash than credit, without explanation. We had a gift certificate, but they told us that was "credit" and we had to use the credit price although we were paying the difference in cash.

Overall, I am stunned that this restaurant gets such good reviews. Does good, tasty food matter? How about service? We had neither.

1 Thank jakklein
San Francisco, California
“Delicious but rushed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Excellent seafood - mussels appetizer was perfect and the Lobster was best I've ever had, Chopped Salad was heavenly, as was the chocolate souffle (heavier and more like a warm molten cake). The only thing was that we were rushed...the moment the fork hit the plate they came to take it away. Several times I had to let the wait staff know that I was not finished. Drinks and 3 course dinner was rushed and only took 1 hour. A surprising bargain - ll this, plus drinks and wine for two for ~$130.

• Visited July 2012
Danville, California
“Very pleasant and consistent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We go to Marica every couple of months. They have great fish, usually three different kinds, plenty of other selections, and nice wines in large glasses. They are one of those places where if you can't decide what wine you want they'll give you tastes. Service is informal but very pleasant. I've never had anything that wasn't delicious. Two downsides: it is small and popular so it's loud, and you definitely need a reservation. Tonight I had the hot fudge sundae, and I don't remember having one as good since Blum's closed in Union Square back in the late 60s or early 70s. They give a discount for cash.

• Visited July 2012