“Nice neighborhood eating establishment”
Review of Mezze Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Mezze Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Trestle Glen Road
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a very nice neighborhood restaurant in Oakland. Many regulars come here as well. After a cocktail (manhattan), I had the absolute best free-range roasted chicken that I have ever had in this Oakland restaurant. The skin was crispy, was nicely seasoned, the meat was very moist, and the presentation was beautiful. It was truly fantastic! For dessert I had a wonderful Chocolate bread pudding that was to die for. Service was good and the waiter explained their specials in detail. The seating was a little crowded but was acceptable. Very nice dinner experience overall.

1  Thank Norm1983

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Mezze serves tasty Mediterranean food, and can be a reasonable night out if you use their periodic Groupon offers (e.g., $30 for $15). A recent dinner for two, comprised of 2 salads, 2 mains, and 2 cocktails, was $86, including tax, but excluding tip. The salads and mains are good--often with a reduced pomegranate sauce or other flavors that add interest and round out the dish, and they look good. It's also usually easy to get seated immediately without a reservation, although one may want to reserve or call ahead on Friday and Saturday nights. The prix fixe menu offers, typically, 5 choices that include a mixed green salad, main, and dessert for a slightly more modest price, although Groupons don't apply in that case.

The challenge with Mezze is with the service. It's warm, but has a tendency to appear at exactly the wrong moment--for example, tonight, arriving to tell us the night's specials just at the moment when there was a recounting of a traumatic incident involving counselors and police. Might more-observant service have delayed just a few minutes? The bar seems consistently under water--in the 6 or so visits I've made to Mezze in the last few years, I have never received a cocktail without a significant delay and an apology from the server--even when things seem fairly quiet on the floor. Once the drinks arrive, they are well-made.

The food is tasty & clearly a step above "typical" Mediterranean food, and the restaurant comfortable. The challenge is that, for the price, the service should be just a little sharper.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Five os us, including two little children, enjoyed our meal last night. Excellent menu, excellent service. I enjoyed my Greek Pizza. My wife said her Spaghetti Squash was also excellent.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I hadn't been here in a while and was ready for a refresher. We were on the early side and service was prompt. We all enjoyed our meals; 2 of us had the chicken kabob (it was very good; I tried some) and 1 had the duck . I wanted the chicken kabob, too, but didn't like the idea of 3 of us ordering the same item, so at the last minute I sprang for the wild mushroom risotto (with sausage). I'm glad I did. The risotto was creamy but crunchy. The peas were fresh. There were plenty of mushrooms. It was just the right amount of food. Mezze is a very good restaurant, and they support local non-profits when they can, and this is important to me. This was a memorable dining experience for us and we'll go back.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Certainly fulfills the category of a First Class neighborhood gem! Offers understated elegant ambience, friendly service, and food more flavorful than expected. The Scallop dish was so yummy until I wished I could have been served a bit more of it on my plate....