“too bad it's gone downhill”
Review of Le Cheval

Le Cheval
Ranked #47 of 1,289 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recall a wonderful Le Chevel in two previous locations: one on the same side of the street as the onenow, but in a large, bright, windowed room; and another before that, across the street in an old former hotel (at least, I THINK that was the "original" Oakland le Cheval).

I returned recently, to a new location. The food was ok, but not great. Nothing stood out as "wow" or made me motivated to return. Especially disappointing, as I went with out of town guests, and promised them a delicious evening meal.

Above the restaurant is a loud dance club/bar.The noise, the vibrations on the ceiling above us (i.e the club's floor) interfered not only with enjoyment of the food, but enjoyment of each other's converstaion during dinner. Exiting Le Cheval, we ran the gauntlet of people lined up to enter the club.

Le Cheval I hope you change locations again, and get back to the former days of great Vietnamese food in a great atmosphere.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Le Cheval is a huge, noisy, busy restaurant, so we were concerned that they cared more about quantity than quality. But it turned out that the food was very good, and we enjoyed our dinner. The noise level was quite high and there were several large parties, so it was hard to talk to each other. I had the noodles with curried vegetables and it was a very good but a very different curry than I am used to, but that's probably because I've never had Vietnamese curries before.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Visiting our son in Oakland. He took us here and we were pleasantly surprised to find this large, friendly restaurant with a varied menu. Asian foods tasting just a little different than any other Chinese, Thai etc we have tasted..Tofu salad and hot /sour soup excellent. Rub the Buddha's belly...

Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I've been coming to Le Cheval for many years. Of all the Asian food I've eaten around the country, this is my favorite Vietnamese / Thai restaurant, period.

The Claypot Rice is delicious, the curries are amazing, shrimp rolls are great too. I've never had a meal less than a 9 out of 10.

Wish I could eat there again tonight but I'm not in Oakland.

Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I had lunch. I ordered the lemongrass chicken with lots of vegetables(carrots, celery, green beans and broccoli) in a light curry sauce with steamed rice. Generous portion for $8.50. This also included a cup of carrot chowder. The surprise came when I used the restroom. The "throne" was heated! Plus it had all the bells and whistles to wash up front to back! I guess you could call it value added!