“Good Mezze style food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A Cote is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 1,215 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lawton
Transit: Rockridge Bart station 3 blocks north of the restaurant
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good Mezze style food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The service was exceptional, very, very accommodating (10 of us tunred up without a booking!). The menu is quite technical so the staff helped giude us through to some very good eating. The wine menu was eaqually as interesting Lebanese , Croation wines etc. Again staff helped with delicious results. Being so technical it can be quite intimidaing, but if you're OK about "I don't know what all this means!" you'll really enjoy the place.

Visited May 2012

Rochester, New York
“Eclectic delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

This one is worth tracking down. Every menu item is meant tobe shared, so your palate will never get bored. Our party of six had sardine crostini, marinated olives, artichokes, steak, lamb, pasta carbonara, and more. Each dish was large enough to share and delicious. The service was impeccable. We will be back.

Oakland, California
“A Good Choice in Rockridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have been to A Cote four times either with friends or with my partner and have had pleasant experiences each time.

As a vegetarian who is allergic to mushrooms, I always find a few things on the menu that I CAN eat and that I WANT to eat. Wish there was more variety in that area though--depends on the season. Last night I had the spring onion and green garlic soup which was delicately flavored and the fromage blanc crouton was a nice touch. We also shared their pommes frites, which are very salty and tasty and come with a lemon mayo concoction and a romaine salad with creamy garlic dressing, asparagus, and sieved egg. My partner had mussels and since she can't eat dairy, they made them without dairy and she loved them. Since she eats just about anything, she feels there is a great variety on the menu.

The drinks are good--interesting combinations. The atmosphere is nice--i like the tables in the little nooks.

Service is always very good-almost impeccable. Wait staff eager to answer questions and help lead you in the right direction whether it's to help you decide on a drink or meals.

I think this place is best to go with a few people or with someone who eats what you eat so that items can be shared.

Visited March 2012
Palo Alto, California
“Excellent intimate dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I had an unexpected and very welcome warm reception here after 9PM on a Sunday night. We needed something to eat before a 45 minute drive home and stopped by A Cote to see if they might still be serving dinner. Were pleasantly surprised to have the hostess say, "Absolutely, we serve until 10". We were seated at a table for 4 in a little niche by the wall. The food was superb. I had grilled asparagus with blood orange and Meyer lemon relish, yum, Croque Monsieur and pommes frites. Perfect for a late night meal. Hubby had a salad that he declared sublime and a skirt steak on a crouton, which he said was like nothing he had ever eaten. It was garnished with Hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, which he had not tasted previously. He is not crazy about mushrooms, but he loved these. I had been to A Cote two years ago and had the mussels, which were wonderful.
The atmosphere here feels like you are in a tiny Parisian bistro. It is dark and intimate and the music is very retro. We will definitely return when we are in Oakland/Rockridge.

Visited March 2012
Oregon USA
“Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was a last minute thing on Saturday night...St. Patricks Day, with no reservations. We arrived relatively early hoping to get on a waiting list and get seated and we were not disappointed. The four of us had a cozy table. Very good service...very interesting menu. I didn't recognize any favorites from the wine list but waitress steered us in the right direction with a Tuscan "Pinot Noir" type wine. Smaller plates served family style so we could all enjoy each plate. Nice offerings which we were told change every six weeks.

Place was full...food was good. Maybe economy is getting better!

• Visited March 2012