“Yum!”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Family friendly. Great food! When we're in Oakland we always try to stop at Zachary's. Being that it's pizza, it's not "paleo" or "low-carb" but it's great for a treat now and then.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I've been in love with Zachary's for nearly 20 years and the I'm never disappointed, today was no exception. They consistently deliver a quality product, crispy crust and fresh toppings while keeping to the thick Chicago style. The manager, Nagi helped me out today and deserves an extra gold star for stellar customer service.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

After eating at Uno's, I stopped eating Chicago-style pizzas. Too heavy! But one visit to Zachary's reminded me of how good this pizza pie style is.

The crust was lighter than I remembered and I loved it. We chose a pie with half meat and the other non-meat - we all preferred the taste of the meat side, but the veggie side was good too.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Pie was good. Love the ordering process. Order and pay as you enter then wait for a table. When you are seated the pie shows up moments later. This may happen only when they are busy but I liked the system.
If you want a crispy crust order thin and well done. Gluten Free "thin" crust is available and you can top however you want on any pie.
This was just about the busiest spot on College Ave. the night we were there. A little pricy but good and fresh.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

There's lots of different kinds of pizza in the world. Everyone has their preferred style, and if it's Chicago style pizza that you like, the Zachary's will satisfy your cravings.

Having spent several years in Chicago, I became very fond of stuffed pizza. Upon moving to California, it was hard to find places that did it right. I remember going to Pizza Chicago on the Peninsula and being very disappointed in their offerings, as they were just Californized deep dish pizzas with Chicago-themed names that made no sense whatsoever. I mean seriously - the "Al Bundy" is made with feta cheese and sundried tomatoes? Does anyone really think that's what he would eat?

Anyways, we were pointed in the direction of Zachary's. It was a long drive, but ultimately worth the trip. The tomato sauce is fresh and slightly sweet. The cheese is satisfyingly gooey and they are generous with their ingredients. The crust is crisp with a slight buttery flavor. The Zachary's special and spinach pizzas are classically Chicago. Sure, they do have some more "gourmet" pizzas, which I've never tried, but for the most part this place stays true to the original Chicago creations. We've been back on several occasions over the years.

If you don't like stuffed pizzas, then this place isn't for you. I have tried their thin crust pizzas on occasion, which are also good, but if I want thin crust then I seek out a New York style pizza place instead. That may sound blasphemous coming a Chicago pizza devotee, but sometimes I do like folding a slice and eating it with my hands.