“Savor Oakland Food Tour”

Savor Oakland Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Food & Drink in Oakland
More attraction details
Owner description: Savor Oakland Food Tours, LLC provides walking food and culture tours of The City of Oakland. We are the first Oakland tour business to combine food, culture, and history in one walking tour. We give an amazing snapshot of Oakland food culture and history. Come join us and savor a taste of Oakland soul!
California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Savor Oakland Food Tour”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Ceviche, Macaroons, Chicken and Waffles that's just a few of the foods we tasted on our Savor Oakland Food Tour yesterday. You opened my eyes to the magic of Oakland, the food, the shops, the history, the people and of course the wine. I want to go back and try more of the menu at each place we stopped. I loved that you took care of the vegetarian in the group and treated the under 21 foodie special at the wine tasting.

It was nice to meet other foodies and hear about their food experiences in Oakland and surrounding neighborhoods. I enjoyed our tour guide/owner Carlo's love and knowledge of Oakland and his sense of humor. This tour would make a lovely gift or holiday outing. Can't wait to share your tour with all my friends and out of town visitors!!

My friends and I are always looking for something different to do and this was it! I was so busy having fun I forgot to get any pictures. Next time!

Super easy to buy your tickets online at http://www.savoroaklandfoodtours.com

Visited November 2012

San Jose, CA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A must-do tour for anybody hungry in Oakland”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This food tour was well-organized, informational and delicious!
There were clear directions sent before the tour started. What did we eat you ask? Chicken & waffles, churros con chocolate, ceviche, macarons, banh mi sandwich and more... And we definitely SAVORED each bite. =P
What else is important besides the sites and the food is the guide. Geneva had a great attitude, loves her city and made our time in the 'O' a real pleasure to enjoy.

My girlfriend & I are from San Jose and we didn't realize Oakland has so much history and how underrated Oakland is. Without a doubt, we would highly recommend this activity to anyone who is new to this Oakland... or even not new!

Mountain View, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious and Fun Tour”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A delicious day in Oakland. I've known that there was a food and art renaissance occurring in Oakland, and that Oakland has been selected as one of the top places to visit, but as a resident of the south bay and peninsula I've had little personal exposure until now. It was incredible to tour the area with Savor Oakland. They really gave us a taste of not just the incredible food and drinks available there, but the vibrant culture that is springing up throughout their city.

The diverse flavors that were highlighted in this tour where very thoughtfully selected, and really gave us a great sample of the different culinary experiences available. Each dish was delicious, and definitely made my wife and I want to return - we actually went back to two of the places right after the tour.

Our tour guide was also excellent. Right from the start, she was informative about the food, culture, and historic elements of the area. Being given the back-story for each destination was great, and she also took the time to find out what we were interested in. The entire tour had a great mix of humor, information, and delicious experiences.

The spacing of the different stops was also well planned. I really enjoyed the mixture of sitting for a nice dish and then walking. For anyone who maybe concerned about the walking, I'm actually disabled and have some trouble walking, but found this tour to be led at comfortable pace with plenty of stops to rest, and eat or drink something yummy!

1 Thank Nikolaus B
Oakland, California
“Super fun!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

First and foremost, Geneva and Carlo are amazing! I'm a new resident to Oakland and I'm a huge food fanatic, so why not get more acquainted with my new city by going on a food tour?

The tour was in the Jack London Warehouse District, which I've been in and around quite a few times, but I never really knew the background or history of a lot of the places. Thanks to the tour, I can now say I feel like I know a lot of random tidbits about the area, which I think is pretty cool!

After signing up for the tour, Geneva and Carlo immediately sent a confirmation e-mail and also sent a reminder e-mail with some brief info, directions and brief tidbits. I've been on a few food and history tours in various cities around the world and I have to say I always appreciate communication that's on point and very organized. It makes me at ease that I'm dealing with a company that has their stuff together and is on point. Definitely a good sign in my book!

I also came by myself, which never felt awkward because Geneva the tour guide was so friendly and outgoing as well as the other people on the tour. I'd say it is a great way to make new friends in a new city.

The tour basically took us around Jack London Square and had a good mix of stopping at food places mixed with historical sites. We even went to a few art galleries that featured local Oakland artists.

I really like the overall flow and pace of everything. I'm glad they mixed up the food portions with walking and historical portions otherwise I'd definitely get super stuffed fast.

One of the reasons I moved to Oakland is because I love the overall vibe and people in this city. Carlo and Geneva are definitely prime examples of local Oakland residents and totally embody that vibe that makes this town special.

Oakland has been in the news and media a lot in recent months for being a hot destination for tourism, but I always felt bad for people when they came here because there isn't a lot to do for tourists. I'm glad tourists now have this food tour especially since I know Oakland is starting to become the it place for good food and restaurants.

Overall, if you want to go on a tour that's fun, tasty, informative and run by some really awesome people, definitely check out this tour!

Los Gatos, California
“Awesome Walking Tour with a Knowledgable Guide & Lots of Great Restaurants”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This isn’t just any food tour, this is a walking & learning food tour! In addition to being able to sample delicious food from local Oakland restaurants, I learned so much about the history of Oakland as well. I have to admit that I was one of those people who had a negative impression of this City, but after taking the tour I learned that it’s full of rich culture and diversity.

The food tour started at the Chop Bar where we were served a healthy portion of yummy pork sandwiches. We walked to the food produce processing area and en route the we were provided a tasty drink of New Orleans Blue Bottle Coffee made in Oakland. Now this is how coffee is suppose to taste! From there we walked to the Home of Chicken and Waffles. This was my first time eating this food combination and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We visited Urban Cellars Winery and got to see wine-making in progress and sample a few of their award-winning wines. Unfortunately I am pregnant so was unable to partake but will definitely be going back.

We then walked to Jack London Square where we went to Baia Pasta. The day we went they were sampling their macaroni & cheese that was the yummiest pasta I’d ever tasted. They make the pasta from scratch themselves and we got to go in the back and learn a bit about the pasta making process.

Next was Bocanova where we tasted Pacific Rock Fish Ceviche and churros with chocolate. Finally, our tour ended at Miette, the absolute best macaroons in the City.
The food was great and our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend this tour to visitors who want to experience Oakland in the most positive light. Jack London Square is a beautiful waterfront area that is great for sightseeing and shopping as well. TWO THUMBS UP!

Visited September 2012