“If you read me, you know I love anything "local."”

Pacific Coast Brewing Co
Ranked #32 of 1,276 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
West Hollywood
“If you read me, you know I love anything "local."”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed over in Oakland for work, and there is NOTHING around the Old Town area I felt safe walking too from my accommodations. However across the street was Pacific Brewing Company. I don’t drink, so a brewing company is my last choice typically. I’m so glad I ventured in! I work odd/off -hours and missed lunch but Pac Brewing serves all day. I walk in, very friendly, very hometown. I was the only one in but within minutes there were others for late-lunch, and I found other business-types eating alone. The bartender was very friendly, the waitress was home-girl lovely, and the locals not cliquish. I love locals and local stories and I got some! Two men sitting next to me told me they’ve been coming to this same establishment for 20-years! They like it for the same things I just stated.
I had the special of the day that wasn’t fancy. That isn’t bad. It was actually pretty perfect! Regular sautéed chicken breast covered with what tasted like cream and vermouth sauce with butter, sautéed squash, and “real” mashed potatoes still a little lumpy! It was so tasty I was surprised. Mom’s Sunday dinner to me. I can’t say it was the best meal I have ever had in my life, but I can say that it was the best meal at this moment. I highly recommend stopping in, particularly if you’re single, alone, or away on business.

• Visited June 2012

San Jose, California
“Really Bad Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A comfortable place to have a beer, but stay away from the food. The kitchen does not put any effort into what they send out.

Visited May 2012
Omer
“Good Beers, basic Pub food”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The location is very convenient. Good selection of beers. I love trying local beers and hang out in places locals come in. The place has its own clientele which add color to the place.
The food is basic Pub food to go along with the beer. Prices are bit high, but reasonable.

• Visited March 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great location near Marriott, good beer.”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling Oakland and staying at the Marriott City Center. It is accross the street, and with our late arrival it was great that the place was still open. Had a beer smapler and wings, and watched a game. The music was not too loud, all in all a good experience.

Visited April 2012
SF Bay Area
“Worst bar food ever”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We picked four starters to go with the beers: crab-stuffed mushroom caps, fried calamari, popcorn shrimp, and fried onion rings.

The crab-stuffed mushrooms were simply embarassing. It was mediocre frozen crab, not fresh Dungeness. The mushroom caps weren't Portabellos as promised, just ordinary mushroom caps. Nor were they stuffed, but instead simply smashed under a massive scoop of the dull-tasting celery-and-green-onion laden crab salad, with cheap shredded Cheddar melted on top.

The popcorn shrimp were a terrible quality frozen Bay shrimp, not only miniscule in size but in broken pieces. The 'lime-chile aioli' was replaced by a standard commercial tartar sauce, and the cocktail sauce was identical to what comes out of a grocery store bottle.

Calamari rings were overfried with a too-chewy crust, and served with the same indifferent dipping sauces as the popcorn shrimp. It wasn't a mistake in frying – the other end of the table also ordered a plate of this calamari about an hour later, and it came out the same way.

The onion rings weren't remarkable but certainly far better than their companions, were beer battered thick rings. The 'lime-chile aioli' was quite good – in fact, pretty much the best thing of all.

Our friends got a vegetarian pizza, overloaded with unpleasantly large chunks and shreds of half-raw bell peppers and onions, and the sharp smell of too much cheap pizza sauce, but no cheese. It neither looked nor smelled appetizing.

Taco Bell does better food than this place. Go next door to Seison and get their catfish nuggets off the bar menu - now THAT'S good food!

• Visited July 2011