“Family run - excellent”

Shan Dong Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Huge portions - be careful of ordering too many dishes. Restaurant full of locals (which is always a good sign) and service was very good.

2  Thank patjoy

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Homemade noodles, dumplings, fantastic sweet and sour chicken (shan dong chicken) and excellent prices. Best bang for your buck in oakland china town and the noodles make me salivate just thinking about my last visit. Excellent!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Read good reviews about this place on Yelp and I found out why. The food was excellent with many fresh vegetables and the best homemade noodles around. The ambience is like a diner but you go to a restaurant for the food, right? If you agree then you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 4, 2012

The four of us took advantage an offer on the menu to select five dishes for less than $40. Servings were generous, the food delicious and the service polite. My daughter took home a little of each except the squid with bell pepper and black bean sauce which disappeared after my 3rd helping.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Staying in Oakland this week for business, and decided to get some Chinese food upon arrival in the city. Shan Dong was highly recommended by the front desk clerk at the hotel, so I decided to try it out. The service was quick, but the taste of the food was mediocre. I know it's not a great thing when the only thing that makes Chinese food have a good taste is adding salt...in fact, I get worried when I see salt and pepper shakers on a table in a Chinese restaurant. In addition to the Beef and Broccoli for my meal, I ordered pot stickers. I found them to be overstuffed and too large, which resulted in them being too gummy/doughy. I was disappointed in those!

The restaurant was relatively clean, but cluttered.

Probably would not go back - especially when there are much better Chinese restaurants across the bay in San Francisco.