“Eh...”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Bus #51 and #59 both stop on Piedmont Avenue.
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I came here on yet another date night. I have passed it by so many times, and finally decided it was time to give her a try. The restaurant was uncomfortably hot during dinner time. I ended up having to switch seats so that I was closer to the door because I was sweating before the meal even started.

There was something awkward and cold about our server...like that was the last place he wanted to be. He was short, stiff, and basically function on auto pilot with very little emotion or personality...but staff aside...

The food was good, but it wasn't great. I had the duck and he had the chicken. Both dishes were forgettable. I wasn't very impressed by their wine selection either. Also, judging by the atmosphere and the other diners, I think the age demographic here is probably double my age...so if you are in your 20's or 30's looking for a fun, hip, date spot I'd go elsewhere.

1  Thank Dianah R
There are newer reviews for BayWolf

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My son and his family introduced me to this restaurant, run by a long-time SF Bay resident. The food is consistently good, the service pleasant. Go there a few times and you will be a regular.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Another Oakland eatery that has survived and thrived through the eating public's fickle preferences. I always feel special and look forward to the chef''s creativity.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Was working close by so my colleagues and I decided to check out BayWolf, which I had recently read about. It was midweek and the place was pretty quiet, so we were seated immediately on the patio. I started with the caesar salad which was good but then came my entree -- lamb shoulder with white beans. It was incredible! Good portion size at a very reasonable price. My fellow diners all tried something different: fillet of sole, polenta w/ short ribs and duck with vegetable ragout. All were incredible! Polite, attentive staff. They only sell wine and beer. A great choice on Piedmont Ave which is becoming a diners mecca!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I met a high school buddy of his at BayWolf recently when we were visiting the Bay area. He eats there often but had never been there on Monday nights. That is when they do a tasting menu. The portions are meant to be shared. We had a number of dishes they were very good. The atmosphere was good also. I can't comment on their regular menu but the tasting menu was a hit with us.