“Best sailing school value on San Francisco Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Afterguard Sailing Academy

Afterguard Sailing Academy
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best sailing school value on San Francisco Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Afterguard Sailing Academy is a family operation on the Oakland Estuary run by Captain Mary and her husband Steve. I do a monthly membership there that allows me to take boats out anytime. They also have classes and evening sails followed by barbeques for those who just want to go sailing on the San Francisco Bay. It's a very low-key sailing school with people who are serious about making sailing fun (as opposed to high-brow or intense). But they also know their stuff and teach people of all levels from raw beginner to those preparing for ocean cruising. Mary knows a tremendous amount about sailing and likes to share her knowledge. I learn something new whenever I talk to her. I particularly like the fact that when you are ready they let you take the boats out by yourself. Other sailing schools don't trust their students that much (or train their students to single-hand).

Afterguard also runs an inner-city youth sailing program that helps underpriviliged Oakland youth learn to sail and work on boats. They really do try to get everyone out sailing on our amazing San Francisco Bay.

When I compared prices of sailing schools Afterguard was definitely the least expensive for ASA lessons, unlimited use membership, per-use rentals, and non-sailer bay sails. The closest comparison was Tradewinds in Point Richmond, another great sailing school that I've been in but not competitive with Afterguard on value for price.

Visited March 2013