“TOP NOTCH HOPSCOTCH!”
Review of Hopscotch

Hopscotch
Ranked #63 of 1,308 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New restaurant, less that 2 months. Already an "in" place. Californian with Japanese influences.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I had dinner last evening at Hopscotch and are so happy to add another great restaurant to our local Oakland options. All of the elements that take a dining experience from good to great were in place. Element #1, Zac, the bartender was an master at his craft and also a great server as we dined at the bar. (I highly reccomend arrving early and eating at the bar if you are a party of 2 or 3) Element #2, amazing food from the fresh, sweet oysters and the chicken liver mousse to the amazing sea bass chiapinno with it's amazing smoky, fresh tomato broth. Element #3, a great, straight forward, affordable wine list. Element #4, a lovely casual and comfortable decor. Being a small space the owners are able to oversee all of the details that keep this Oakland gem shining brilliantly. Bravo!

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a table for 6 and reservations were not available. An out door table was suggested.. Weather was perfect and none of us were aware of the neighborhood ( all out if town guests). The neighborhood is not ok for evening seating on the sidewalk.
Service was exceptional but I am not sure what all the hype is about with this establishment. We enjoyed the evening but the price tag was rather stiff for the meal presented. Very very tiny establishment.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went with a few co workers to Hopscotch a few weeks back for lunch and was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is situated in a cute little area of Oakland and had a cozy feel in the restaurant. We arrived around 12:30pm and was greeted promptly with a smile. The hostess asked if we had reservations and we said no and kept our fingers crossed and a table opened up to seat the three of us.

The lunch menu was simple with appetizers, main plates, a nice selection of fine wine and cocktails and lots of choices for dessert. We started with the half dozen oysters and had the Tonkatsu Sandwich, First Base Burger, and the BLAT. I had a glass of the Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc to go along with my lunch since not many restaurants serve a Sancerre. The oysters were fresh and had a tasty blanc de blance mignotte. Each of the main plates came with duck fat chips and WOW, they were delicious. I was looking around at my co workers wondering if they were going to eat all their chips, they were that good. The lunch plates were just right, generous but not "supersized". While we were eating our meal, no one said a word, each were chewing and enjoying their food and making "this is tasty" faces. We passed on dessert but if we had time, I would have had the apricot tart. The table next to ours had one and it looked yummy.

The only small con about the restaurant was it was quite warm during the lunch hour. They did have a fan in the corner to circulate the air, but I think it was situated on the wrong wall. Perhaps the fan should be situated on the back wall facing the front door to force the warm air out verses situated in the front keeping the warm air circulating in the restaurant. Just a small note but does not take away from the tasty lunch experience.

Will definitely go back for a meal to Hopscotch!! Thanks for an enjoyable lunch!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Service was snappy, all the meals were enjoyable with lots of flavor.The starters were quite tasty, as were the mixed drinks. Even the wine was not over priced. It is a little tight inside, and you do need reservations for dinner. It is also noisy but not as bad as I had expected. It was a pleasant change of pace. Dessert was wonderful.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

What is all the hype about Hopscotch?We were the first customers to arrive at the restaurant and we were asked to sit at the worst table in the diningroom. After looking around we politely asked to sit somewhere else since no one was there! The host, after checking the iPad determined that we could sit at a better table. We did have a reservation by the way. So, the waiter took our order, and delivered our drinks. Wine recommendation was terrific and the specialty drink at the bar was great. As for the food, just average at best, except for the burger, which was terrific, the bun was from semifreddies, that explains it. The fish and chips were all batter and no fish. Fries were ok, not amazing, even with duck fat. The yonsie oyster was very well prepared but not a show stopper. Again, the fried chicken was just ok, no Ad Hoc, dry and over battered. While I might give it another try, there are so many other choices in this up and coming area. The neighborhood is also very edgy, would not want to walk to far, and I'm usually up for anything. With only 25 seats I'm sure it's hard to get in now but not sure Hopscotch will stand the test long term.

1  Thank Bob-Moraga