“Really? Don't get it”
Review of Hopscotch

Hopscotch
Ranked #47 of 1,289 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant, less that 2 months. Already an "in" place. Californian with Japanese influences.
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

What is all the hype about Hopscotch?We were the first customers to arrive at the restaurant and we were asked to sit at the worst table in the diningroom. After looking around we politely asked to sit somewhere else since no one was there! The host, after checking the iPad determined that we could sit at a better table. We did have a reservation by the way. So, the waiter took our order, and delivered our drinks. Wine recommendation was terrific and the specialty drink at the bar was great. As for the food, just average at best, except for the burger, which was terrific, the bun was from semifreddies, that explains it. The fish and chips were all batter and no fish. Fries were ok, not amazing, even with duck fat. The yonsie oyster was very well prepared but not a show stopper. Again, the fried chicken was just ok, no Ad Hoc, dry and over battered. While I might give it another try, there are so many other choices in this up and coming area. The neighborhood is also very edgy, would not want to walk to far, and I'm usually up for anything. With only 25 seats I'm sure it's hard to get in now but not sure Hopscotch will stand the test long term.

1  Thank Bob-Moraga

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This small, friendly and clearly family-run restaurant checks all the boxes. First, it's small...kind of looks like an old diner, as there is a counter with stools where you can sit and enjoy the open kitchen. We've not tried that, but when you arrive you are warmly greeted...like they are really glad you are there, and glad they are there! My husband always orders a special kind of Jerry-tini made with tequilla, and they suggested an improvement on his concoction that he loved. The scotch I ordered was served on a special wood plank with a glass of ice and the glass of scotch..so fun and different. The duck fat chips are a must to start with, and we shared 6 perfect oysters on the half shell. As our main courses we had the pork chop which was a healthy portion and served beautifully and I had a fish special. We finished off the evening with the carrot cake...moist and sinful and a perfect finish! Can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Pat B
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A small, casual, friendly place with world-class cocktails and food. I would describe it as very refined comfort/soul food with Japanese touches. Every dish was layered with complex flavor. Reasonable prices.

1  Thank oaktown99
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We've been here several times, and love the food. All the details are well done, such as the chips fried in duck fat. They have interesting cocktails, a good list of draft beers, and housemade non-alcoholic drinks. The gnocchi are fantastic and the burgers remind you of why people liked burgers in the first place. The fish is also excellent. Everything we've had here has been delicious. The neighborhood is ok, but if you aren't familiar with urban neighborhoods, it might not be a good choice. We've gone as a couple and with our teenager, and they have been equally nice to us in both configurations.

1  Thank WanderersWife
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been fortunate to eat at Hopscotch on several occasions. The menus are well balanced with something to satisfy all taste buds. Oysters, clams and fried fish and duck fat chips from the sea, with some tasty surprises, are my favorites for lunch. Dinner also offers a nice range of tastes. The sweet potato gnocchi, chicken loin, sea bass, and two varieties of burger are all delicious. My friends and I have tried everything. Leave room for dessert and French pressed Verve coffee from Aptos. It is hard to choose between the binets with expresso hickory sauce or the yuzu tart or the chocolate mousse! Hopscotch is now serving brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I am looking forward to tasting the Benedicts!

1  Thank retiredtraveling50