“A Gem!”
Review of Hopscotch

Hopscotch
Ranked #40 of 1,286 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New restaurant, less that 2 months. Already an "in" place. Californian with Japanese influences.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A small, casual, friendly place with world-class cocktails and food. I would describe it as very refined comfort/soul food with Japanese touches. Every dish was layered with complex flavor. Reasonable prices.

1  Thank oaktown99
There are newer reviews for Hopscotch

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We've been here several times, and love the food. All the details are well done, such as the chips fried in duck fat. They have interesting cocktails, a good list of draft beers, and housemade non-alcoholic drinks. The gnocchi are fantastic and the burgers remind you of why people liked burgers in the first place. The fish is also excellent. Everything we've had here has been delicious. The neighborhood is ok, but if you aren't familiar with urban neighborhoods, it might not be a good choice. We've gone as a couple and with our teenager, and they have been equally nice to us in both configurations.

1  Thank WanderersWife
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been fortunate to eat at Hopscotch on several occasions. The menus are well balanced with something to satisfy all taste buds. Oysters, clams and fried fish and duck fat chips from the sea, with some tasty surprises, are my favorites for lunch. Dinner also offers a nice range of tastes. The sweet potato gnocchi, chicken loin, sea bass, and two varieties of burger are all delicious. My friends and I have tried everything. Leave room for dessert and French pressed Verve coffee from Aptos. It is hard to choose between the binets with expresso hickory sauce or the yuzu tart or the chocolate mousse! Hopscotch is now serving brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I am looking forward to tasting the Benedicts!

1  Thank retiredtraveling50
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hopscotch is a great new restaurant in uptown Oakland. Not only was the atmosphere pleasant and the service excellent, the food was delicious! There were five in our group, and we all agreed that we will return!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hopscotch recently opened in the spot formerly occupied by Chef Edwards BBQ, on the edge of the Uptown dining area. The décor is that of an old diner. There is a counter with red stools and several tables. The space is small and simply decorated, but is inviting and cozy. There are also a few tables on the sidewalk. The cuisine is “Californian” with Japanese influences. For appetizers we chose the pork pate on brioche (fantastic) and the heirloom tomatoes marinated in Dashi. Our entrees included Corvina Seabass, which was excellent, and the Three Little Pigs that is apparently a signature dish. It consists of braised belly, prosciutto meatballs, ham hock kale with apple celery-root mash, black garlic. This is a great dish. Our desserts were the Yuzu tart (great) and beignets dusted with Soy powder. Others have mentioned that the bartender is a great mixologist, and I certainly agree. I had two scotch drinks (of course), the Domino (Scotch, Amaro, blackberry, Jalapeno, and lemon) – maybe he best Scotch-based cocktail that I have ever had) and the Plaid on Plaid (blackbottle, caolila scotch, lemon, honey, egg white). The server, Kristin, was very gracious, competent, and knowledgeable. Prices are quite reasonable with no dish over $19 as I write this. Sunday brunch is also served, but I have not yet experienced that.