“BBQ with a touch of cozy elegance -- in downtown Oakland”
Review of B-Side BBQ - CLOSED

B-Side BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: We are a full service barbecue restaurant serving lunch and dinner. We have a full bar, and we're open from 5PM to 10PM Tuesday through Thursday, and then 12-10PM Friday through Sunday. We have a 26 Zagat score, which is the highest for a barbecue restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. Both Travel + Leisure and Food & Wine have included B-Side BBQ on their lists of America's Best New Barbecue.
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Great Southern style BBQ, (Tennesee?) fascinating drinks, and Blazing Saddles playing in a loop on the bar TV. I ate everything I could fit inside my gullet. Tried to restrain myself to just tasting the fried okra bites (well, forget the restraint), and thought I'd be stuffed with the B-side brisket.And had more than a taste of the BBQ wings. Plus a tequila drink that made normal margaritas seem like unsophisticated lime rickets. All that and more. Owner/chef Tanya Holland is a gem, getting polished by lots of positive media spin. She is going somewhere fast. Get there before she does!

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Went here with family members for dinner. It's a small place with just a couple of tables and then bar-type seating around the edges. We took the latter so that we wouldn't have to wait.
They have some interesting beers on tap and some signature cocktails which are a reasonable $10 - a nice way to start. Among the three of us we tried the pulled pork sandwich, the Jerk Spiced Baby Back ribs and the Dark & Stormy St Louis ribs, the Smoked Brown Sugar rubbed brisket and the Smoked BBQ chicken. We liked all of them, but I think the jerk ribs were most distinctive. Sides were the Collard greens (delicious, and meat-free, for those to whom it matters) potato salad, cole slaw and the pickled vegetables (savory, crisp and tart). Service was friendly and solicitous, but seemed unpracticed in the end.
I will go again, and hope the service tightens up a bit. The line was out the door by the time we left. I see why!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I visited B Side with a my friend who's a local. The neighborhood was a little dicey BUT once you enter...what an experience. The lights are low, the space is small and intimate. I counted 25 seats including the bar. There are some tables and a high top table in the middle of the room. We each ordered a drink from the bar. Mine wasn't great but I was there for the food. We both ordered brisket and three sides to share. The price was right! $10 for the sampler. Delicious mac n cheese and those pickled vegetables...hot and spicy! The service was great. Our server was very helpful and sweet. I live in Minnesota so I won't be able to return any time soon but I will make sure this is one of my go to places on my next visit.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a nice little place, small and quaint, but a hidden gem. I had the brisket which was prepared very well. The sides are large as well. They have an old west kind of theme, even so far as having old westerns playing on TV, but the food is decidedly modern. Sounds crazy to say this, but it was the best Texas toast I have ever had. They also have a good selection of craft beers and specialize in a variety of whiskeys, which I am not much of a drinker of, but it was cool t see. You should definitely check it out, it is worth the trip.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Some BBQ restaurants often serve good food, but they aren't places you'd feel comfortable dining . Then there are the BBQ restaurants that all you basically are buying is the meat. B Side BBQ is the exception to the aforementioned. With a balance of meat and a plethora of sides from which to select, B Side is a nice and welcome change to the typical BBQ place.

It has an inviting atomosphere that you feel like dining in. The food is good with ample service. There clearly was some thought that went into the concept of this establishment. A good place to go, take your time and enjoy the food along with an adult beverage.

1  Thank jazzman06