“Best Burger in the East Bay”
Review of True Burger

True Burger
Ranked #84 of 1,328 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 3, 2014

True Burger makes the best burgers in the East Bay, if not the entire Bay Area. My friends and I have been here several times and have never been disappointed. The burgers are juicy and flavorful. They do an excellent job of seasoning the burgers. The buns are perfect in soaking up all the juices. Be sure to grab some napkins, you'll need them.

The place is a little small and can get crowded at times. The staff is friendly and they have good local beers available in bottles.

This place is worth a visit whenever you are in the Bay Area. Grab a bite and take a stroll around Lake Merritt to burn off some of the calories.

1  Thank Terence L

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Went there for lunch and had the Double Up with fries. Was very juicy and very filling with lots of flavor. 10/10 would recommend.

Limited seating space.

One patty was a little pink but that's how I like it anyway (they don't ask how you want it done so you may want to specify).

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had the basic cheeseburger and a shake. Was not disappointed. I do wish I ordered the one with the fried mushroom in it. Was envious after taking a bite of my friend's burger.

1  Thank alexaner x
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is a must stop if you like burgers. This is one of the best burgers that my wife and I have ever had.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I can't speak to the normal beef burgers. People say they are good, but I'm a vegetarian. TrueBurger does offer a vegetarian breaded (and deep fried) portobello mushroom burger stuffed with smoked mozzarella cheese. It is not good. I've seen this type of portobello/mozzarella burger offered in various places (Shake Shack in NY, I think, offers it. I think it's the same one). I can't get excited about it. It's fried. Much of the cheese is drained by the time the it gets out of the fryer. It's oily.

The fries, also, were nothing to write home about. To really be an artisan burger place as it claims -- like Umami Burger probably is (I haven't yet tried it) -- it needs to make its own burgers and fries. They probably make their own beef burger recipe (don't know, don't care). The rest of their menu is Sysco-type pre-packaged crap. This is not high-quality food, like Plant Organic Cafe in San Francisco is; or Source, also in SF is. Even Barney's Gourmet -- which isn't great -- is preferable (and infinitely more customizable) than TrueBurger. If they would have, at least, high quality processed fries, that might be one thing. Might be. It isn't.

Based on the quality of everything else, I suspect better burgers (even beef burgers) are to be had elsewhere.

Careful: Only open for lunch on Mondays. Closed on Sundays.

1  Thank SalsaB

Been to True Burger? Share your experiences!