“My new favorite in Oakland”

Ikaros greek restaurant
Ranked #119 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was great with outdoor seating in the sun. The food was so well priced and as good as anything I ate in Greece. And the men are as fine as the are on any Greek island and the owner ever so gracious. Two thumbs up

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The East Bay has very few Greek restaurants and even fewer good Greek restaurants, so we were really happy to find Ikaros. It's a comfortable and cozy place on busy Grand Ave. near the Grand Lake Theatre, so a convenient place to go before or after a movie. Their egg lemon soup was excellent, with tangy lemon flavor enhanced by rice, chicken and vegetables -- the very best egg lemon soup I've ever had. My husband's lamb shank dinner was huge -- two shanks, so one to take home for the next night's dinner, and he said it was delicious. I had the stuffed green pepper, which was very good, accompanied by excellent roasted potatoes. Service was great. We were able to park on the street nearby, which can sometimes be a problem. There seemed to be a parkinbg lot behind the restaurant, but we didn't check it out.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love this spot. It's a small family-owned restaurant. Food is good, quick and staff is friendly. A perfect place to grab a bite then walk down to the Grand Lake Theatre for a movie. Best for friends or family dining.

1  Thank Lynn P
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We walked in off the street for dinner and found this restaurant to be the warmest most welcoming place! The customer service was so above and beyond, making our dining experience very enjoyable. The food was also excellent - (try the lamb kabobs!) We will definitely visit this restaurant again on our next trip to Oakland.

1  Thank Willbeck
Reviewed May 11, 2013

"You know that eggplant was very good. Everybody out. I got eggplant on my mind." George Steinbrenner, SEINFELD.

Actually had Lamb Chops on my mind (baaaaaaaa)... and Ikaros did NOT disappoint.

Walk-in @ 5:30 on a Friday, ushered into nice table w/ a bottle of Greek red and a Arnold Palmer for the 8yr. old and toasted bread w/ olive oil & salt in 5 minutes flat. LOVE that.

Started w/ the Melitzanes (eggplant) and a bowl of Avgolemono (egg lemon soup) - nice little start to things, especially the soup. Think of a hearty/zesty chicken soup.

I go for the lamb chops family style (1 kilo/2.2lbs) asked for some medium and some Medium Rare (accommodated, no problem) with a side or Orzo and Ikaros Fries (steak fries w/ feta and herbs YUM!). Added a order of Macaronada meh Kyma (Greek macaroni w/ meat sauce) for good measure.

There are 3 of us... and one is an 8yr; old girl. YES, my eyes were bigger than our stomachs, but MAN, sweet work if you can get it. The lamb chops were perfectly done, plentiful and beautifully presented - 9 chops 2 each for the girls and 5 for me (yeah baby!). Orzo was tasty (too much food, could've done w/out it) but the fries went exceptionally well with the lamb chops. The Macaronada caught me off guard, the spices in the meat sauce were different than what you might expect in traditional Italian fare - a pleasant surprise, just a touch on the sweet side and ripe w/ complex flavors. The "macaroni" was uncut... long tubes held the sauce well. Would've preferred the pasta to be firmer, but perhaps this is how it is traditionally? The bottle of red wine picked for us stood up to all the flavors well.

Went w/ Baklava, Kataifi Greek & French coffee to finish things off. The Greek Coffee was a bit weak and bummed me out right there at the end. Kataifi was great, didn't need the chocolate.

Will have to make the drive over at lunch when the downtown Oakland places bore me... we'll definitely be back for the 1 kilo lamb chop plate!