“Fantastic Food and Service”
Review of Haven Oakland - CLOSED

Haven Oakland
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Embarcadero W.
Transit: Free bus at both Webster and Broadway at Embarcadero. Civic Center and Lake Merritt BART stations are just a few blocks walk. Coming from San Francisco? Consider taking the Ferry over since it drops you right at in Jack London.
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Went for my 21st Anniversary dinner. The food is fantastic and the service was perfect. We chose the tasting menu and we were absolutely delighted by the wonderful creations presented to us. I can't believe I actually ate tongue and LOVED it. It is a perfect date night restaurant and foodies will love this place. The only down side was the interior design. It is too cold and those bricks on the wall are down right UGLY. They need to freshen up the design and make it a warmer more pleasant environment. Also, the acoustics need to be addressed. If you sit on the side of the banquet against the wall, you really can't hear the waiter at all. Thankfully, the food and the service are so good it doesn't matter.

There are newer reviews for Haven Oakland

Reviewed May 16, 2012

This restaurant has been given rave reviews both by critics and friends so when I booked a table for 3, I was very excited to sample the innovative cuisine. What I ate was good but certainly not great. My husband really did not like his fish - which was presented with an oxtail cake (similar to a crab cake) and the tiny portion of the fish left him hungry. My friend ordered 2 appetizers and thought they were just fine but not stellar by any means - although she thought the smoked pasta was very fresh. The server seemed to want us to leave and was interested in pushing us through the courses - possibly to get a more lucrative group of spenders. I ordered the Chicken N' Biscuits, which was good but smallish and I also ordered the brussel sprouts - to be shared. The biggest complaint at my table was that the menu was extremely limited and that the food, while pretty to look at, did not live up to the hype given by food critics. The desserts we ordered were all very good - but the standout (would return just to have again) was the baked California (a take on baked Alaska). Simply divine!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Located on the waterfront at Jack London Square, this little gem serves up great local and organic food created by chefs who care. Dinner menu consists of 3 courses, with ~4 items each. Each dish served had depth and complexity of flavor that one usually finds at top restaurants costing 2-3 times more. The pasta sang with happiness, the fish smiled with freshness, and the succulent chicken with biscuits warmed the heart. The wine selection was small but decent. TIP, either sit at the bar and watch the chefs at work, or request a window seat and marvel at the many sail boats that float by. We will go back.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We ate at Haven for the first time on my husband's birthday and were very happy with our experience. Although the restaurant is a bit hard to find in Jack London Square (or maybe it just seemed that way because it was evening and pouring rain), once we were inside, we appreciated the location overlooking the Jack London Square harbor. We decided to order "the chef's choice, " and told the server what our few restrictions were. From the first dish (fish broth with enoki mushrooms) to the dessert course, we were treated to one delightful dish after another. Although the $55.00/ person price tag was not a giveaway,we felt we definitely got our money's worth, as each of the many small plates we were served was innovative, creative, burstong with flavor, and beautifully presented. We worried that we might leave hungry because of the small plates format, but we had nothing to worry about and left very full and satisfied.

One of my criteria for restaurant value is whether they serve food that I would not cook at home, and Haven certainly did. Beets with chocolate? Who would have thought, and yet it was delicious. In general, my favorite thing about the food was that it challenged the conventions of traditonal flavor combinations and did this with consistent success.

My few minor concerns were that they were a little bit heavy handed with salt (a criticism I have read from other reviewers as well), and that they seated us at the bar rather than a table, although I had made a reservation well in advance. I would have at least expected them to ask if this was okay, or to tell me that they only had bar seating when they called to remind me of our reservation. Also, the servers talked so softly that we couldn't hear their descriptions of the dishes as they were served. These are the minor glitches that kept me from giving them straight "excellent" ratings. In spite of these, we will definitely come back!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Really loved the wonderul food but not the poor service by the red-headed server at the counter. She took 15 minutes to bring the dessert menu, and another 15-20 minutes before returning to take the order - ignoring our attempts to catch her attention...what was her problem that night? The kitchen's genius and hard work in trying to create a great dining experience can, unfortunately, be torpedoed by a server who doesn't share the same committment.