“Here's a conflicted review for you...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
GET A $50 GIFT CARD
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Richmond, Virginia
“Here's a conflicted review for you...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were on our way back from visiting family in San Jose and I wanted to go see an Oakland A's game. This was the closest hotel I could find to the stadium (and it is close, only a five-minute drive) and the reviews were good and the price was a little high, but within our typical budget.

There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself. The room was clean, the service was good and probably because it's an airport hotel, things were pretty quiet at night.

The location is horrible. I get that it's near an airport and all, but it's tucked back into an industrial area that has seen better days, about two blocks off the main road. The hotel's parking lot is surrounded by a fence and the parking lot is signed with notices about 24 hour security (which is probably necessary). There are no restaurants within walking distance.

As I was unloading the car, I got hit up for cash by a guy on a bicycle who just rode casually into the parking lot. I didn't have anything on me, but even if I did, I'm not that kind of person. The fact that I'm getting asked with two suitcases and numerous other bags full of baby-related stuff certainly doesn't help. He wasn't aggressive, but very skeptical, I guess, and he kind of nodded and said, "Alright, man." Then he just rode off. I think that's the sort of thing that makes people uncomfortable and I would think that security or hotel staff would keep an eye out for that.

The other bad thing is the parking lot: the spaces are very small. So there's a chance that if someone with a ridiculously large truck or SUV parks beside you, it'll either be very hard to get into your car or your car might get dinged by their door. Additionally, when I came back from the game around 10:00, multiple spots were occupied by two cars, so there were only three spots left.

It was a convenient, clean hotel but the location is not ideal in my opinion and I think the management needs to address a couple of things with security and the parking lot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank leshii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
cody
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent night there before leaving to hawaii. The shuttle was excellent, room was nice, comfortable quiet. Breakfast had lots of choices thought it was tacky for the breakfast attendant to put a tip jar out for a complimentary breakfast . Wish employees of hotel would let the guests get there breakfast before they help themselves. Staff at front desk were pleasant and driver.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spoke to a "live Person" on the phone when I made the reservation three months previous to my stay,believing I was in contact with the property's front desk. I was quoted a very good rate for either a suite or a room. The difference was a jacuzzi tub. Sounded good to me after a long flight and late arrival. None available at the quoted price, so got the one w/o. Woke the nex morninbg to the sounds of arguing housekeeping staff outside my door. Moved to jacuzzi suite that had no counter space and poor lighting for make-up. Appeared to be an ADA room and not decorated as well as previous room. The only service that was w/o a problem was the courtesy
car that that I used for airport arrival and the Saturday evening function that was the purpose of my stay.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi tub is over-rated, and access meant for the young and agile. Should have taken the suite...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bettysherman
bwplusoaklandca, Webmaster at BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

I’m very sorry we did not live up to your expectations during your recent stay with us. It seems you may have encountered some unfortunate confusions that we could have resolved for during your stay. In any case, we apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of every guest, every time. I hope you’ll give us another chance to earn your business and your trust.

Hotel Manager.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

In the middle of an industrial estate, but convenient for OAK airport and the freeway. Short walk to Walmart shopping centre, a short drive to downtown Oakland - and a good base for the SF area. Comfortable and well-run hotel, spacious and well-equipped room (although the housekeeping was sometimes a bit haphazard). Indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, free wi-fi and parking. Very happy to recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Orangevale, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Booked two rooms for a trip we were planning to Maui. On arrival was told that only one car could be kept on property for the duration of the trip. Second car had to be taken to a parking lot. Was not told before arrival that the pool was going to be down for scheduled maintance. My daughter was very unhappy. Had to call twice for pickup at airport. Guess they forgot. One good thing to mention, "cookies in lobby were good" First and only time I will stay at best western.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger H
Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your needs completely during your trip. We also apologize if there was any unfortunate confusion about the cars. We do what we can to make every guest happy and try to exceed customer expectations at every turn. If we failed you in any way, we apologize. I take personal responsibility and hope to be able to host you again some day. Our property is improving every day, and you’ll see change in attitude and quality if you visit us again.

Hotel Manager.