“Screwed me up”

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Michigan
“Screwed me up”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

NOTE: Since I was unable to complete my stay, this review is based SOLELY on my unability to be taken care of regarding a CONFIRMED reservation

Booked online about 8:30pm, got confirmation number via email. Arrive around 9pm, and I'm told "Sorry, we're 100% booked". That's it. No "how can we make this better?", no offer for compensation, no "let me call around and find you a room elsewhere", not a danged thing, just "Sorry". I feel that's really shabby. I'd been driving all day, in 90+ weather with a broken air conditioner, and I get "Sorry, go find a room somewhere else". Gee, thanks.

I even had to ask the desk clerk to print me out proof that they'd removed the charges from my credit card. (He didn't think to offer even that tiny amount of customer service)

I was totally disappointed with this BW, and BW in general. Dunno if I can ever trust their online booking service again. Suffering in a miserably hot car all day, then not getting the room I was promised, well... that just made it all the worse.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Laval, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights. We went to the A's baseball game and the hotel is very close to the stadium.
The front desk staff was very helpful and always polite. We had to print a coupon and couldn't access the site on the guest computers (we had a laptop). The front desk employee got to the site and printed our coupon. That was very nice!
Breakfast was good but the hours very strict, from 6AM to 9AM. At 9h, they close the doors and you had to finish in a hurry! We were on vacvation and might have liked to wake up a little later...
The pool and spa were clean but in the evening, there were never any towels left. We went in the spa but they had so much chemicals it hurt our eyes.
The rooms were clean and spacious.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie B
Alaska
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My family stayed here for 6 nights in July of 2011. It's a newer hotel with clean rooms. The breakfast they served was OK. We used their free shuttle van daily to drop us off, and later pick us up at the nearby Coliseum BART station. Most of the time their pickups were prompt.

The neighborhood right around the hotel is one I'd probably not walk around in at night. However with the good shuttle service to and from, that never played into the picture.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bushflyer
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed here for two days. It was convenient to Berkeley and the city. There was a BART station in three minutes drive, and parking was free at the station. There were shopping centers and fast food restaurants around. Neighborhood wasn't a good area. We had a car and it wasn't a problem for us. If you don't have car, don't stay here.
We booked a non smoking room but they gave us a smoking one. There was a terrible smell. We requested an air freshener several times. They had put air fresheners all along the corridors. I think they know how bad smell was. When my husband talked to them angrily they sent one. We got more towels after requesting again and again. Nothing comes when you ask first time. They want you to forget.
Breakfast was OK. But they closed the doors at 9 am sharp. There was a waiter in breakfast room, and when the clock showed 9 am , she closed the waffle maker. It was rude I think. They had to be more flexible.
I don't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dolphinmaniac
Bestwestern05603, Manager at Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
On behalf of our property and all our staff, we would like to apologize for your inconvenience during your stay with us. Rest assured that your input will be utilized, to help create a better experience for all guests. However, I would like to point out that not all room types are guaranteed when booked with 3rd party websites. If you would like your room type guaranteed,, please book with us directly. Smoking rooms are regularly cleaned with our air filtration device. I understand that this can be frustrating, when you would have preferred a non smoking room. If there is anything I can do on a personal level to compensate for your inconvenience, please contact me directly at 510-633-0500 ext 421.

Jay Patel
Best Western Plus Oakland Airport
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Excellent property. Depending on which way you drive to the property you may think you're in a bad area couldn't be further from the truth. Centrally located near everything. Spacious, clean rooms. Friendly helpful staff!! Breakfast every morning. The only bad thing I can say is parking is very congested in the parking lot after 7 or 8pm.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Wjumaal
Scotts Valley, CA
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My wife and I spent an overnight at this hotel in August on a road trip to Alameda, CA. Our checkin was quick and efficient. Complimentary water and protein bar was an immediate nice touch. Our king bed room was clean. Having asked for a first floor room, we got a second floor room right next to the elevator. Hence the room was smaller than we have enjoyed in other Best Western Plus hotels. But still it was remarkably quiet. The bathroom was all-in-one and clean. We think it's always nicer when one component is separated from the rest, like the vanity or commode. The refrigerator kept food nice and cold. It had a freezing section that we appreciate to keep the cooling elements of our cold chest renewed for the next day. The indoor swimming pool was very warm and delightful, while the hot tub was a little too warm for our liking. Our bed was very comfortable. The air conditioner was not too noisy or distracting. Breakfast was a delight. Scrambled eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy always are a marker for us as a property being a cut above. Waffles, breads, muffins, cereal, fruit and choice of four juices made it a well rounded affair. The coffee was good too. An attendant was specifically stationed to keep a watchful eye for replenishment and to help kids master the waffle iron. Checkout was quick and efficient. Overall, for a room rate under $100, our stay was an excellent value.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank TW3
Boise, ID
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel about twenty times now. I keep going back because they offer everything I need as a business traveler. They are a nice hotel with a great price. They offer a nice breakfast, free internet, free airport parking and free transportation to airport, car rental center, BART station or wherever you want to go within a short distance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business